Team To Beat * Kirtland (15-0, State Champions): The defending state
champions return arguably the state’s most explosive small school back
in senior Damon Washington (5-11, 175). Washington ran for 1,618 yards
last year, including 147 (and two TDs) in the state championship game.
His 81-yard fourth quarter TD punctuated the Hornets 28-7 win over
Coldwater. Washington doubles as a tremendous defensive back. Kirtland
also returns starting quarterback Scott Ellerman, a 6-3, 178-pounder who
threw for 1.043 yards and 12 TDs last year. He also ran for four
scores. Defensively the Hornets are led by a pair of standout juniors in
DL Cannon Schroeder (6-2, 215) and DB Ryan Loncar (5-10, 175).
10 Players To Watch
1. Damon Washington, RB, sr., Kirtland: Ran for 1,618 yards last year; 81-yard TD in state final 2. Tyler Walter, QB, sr., Garaway: Thrown for 4,993 yards & 54 career TDs 3. Nick Blower, RB, sr., Crestview: Scored 20 TDs & ran for 1,872 yards as a junior 4. Spencer Badia, QB, jr., Bellaire: Threw for 505 yards & seven TDs in a game last year 5. Korey Lafferre, WR, sr., Monroe Central: Caugbht 31 passes for 417 yards & six TDs last year 6. Joel Rich, TE/DE, sr., Aquinas: Two-way standout committed to Boston College 7. Chris Durkin, QB, jr., Ursuline: Already owns offers from Illinois, Toledo & BG 8. Tommy Saviers, RB., sr, Waterloo: Ran for 1,390 yards & 19 TDs as a junior 9. Chandler Lang, QB/LB, jr., Fort Frye: Made 76 tackles & had 1,089 total yards last year 10. Shaquon McWilson, OL., sr., Memorial: One of the region’s tops in the trenches
Crestview @ Columbiana, Aug. 23 (Week 1) Marlington @ Aquinas, Sept. 7 (Week 3) Garaway @ Mavern, Sept. 16 (Week 4) Monroe Central @ Fort Frye, Sept. 21 (Week 5) Kirtland @ Cuyahoga Heights, Sept. 21 (Week 5) Ursuline @ Steubenville, Oct. 5 (week 7)
Team To Beat *Lima Central Catholic (10-1, Region 18 Quarterfinalist): The
T-Birds have some big holes to fill – mainly those left by NWC Offensive
Player of the Year Ty O’Connor (now at Michigan State) and NWC
Defensive POY Sean Griesdorn. The cupboard is far from bare though.
Leading the offensive charge will be senior RB Jonathan Washington (5-9,
201) who ran for 1,176 yards and 17 TDs last year. As a sophomore he
ran for 912 yards and six TDs. Also back to get touches is junior RB
Mykale Rogers (D-III state long jump champion as a sophomore). Senior
Ben Stolly (6-1, 235) will anchor both lines (had 11 TFL, seven sacks
last year). Senior DB/WR Sam Huffman (6-2, 175) is a difference maker.
Last year he had 57 tackles, four INTs, 32 rec., 603 receiving yards and
eight TDs. As a sophomore he made 95 tackles. Additional impact players
include LBs Vincent Fosburgh (sr.) and Darius West (jr./65 tackles,
three TDs). Keep an eye on senior ATH Ryan Pitts Jr. who was limited to
four games due to injury last year.
10 Players To Watch
1. Johnathan Washington, RB, sr., LCC: Has rushed for 2,629 yards & 23 TDs last two years 2. Jake Carrizales, DE, sr., Patrick Henry: Has over 200 tackles last two years; 17 TFL as jr. 3. Andy Guilford, QB, sr., Fairview: Accounted for 3,605 yards & 35 TDs last year 4. Dean Conley, ATH, sr., Hicksville: Scored 11 TDs (three on kick returns) as a junior 5. Mitch Linhart, QB, sr., Liberty-Benton: Threw for 1,638 yards & 21 TDs last season 6. Nic Whitmore, LB, Sr., Northwood: Two-time TAAC Def. POY, over 300 career tackles 7. Kipp McCann, RB, sr., Tinora: Ran for 1,559 yards & 22 TDs last year, added 71 tackles 8. Nick Demaline, DL/OL, jr. Liberty Center: First team All-NWOAL on DL & OL as a sophomore 9. Colt Pettit, OL/DL, jr., Patrick Henry: Holds offers from Indiana, Purdue & MAC schools 10. Jimmy Spieth, OL/DL, sr., Liberty Center: First team All-NWOAL on DL & OL as a junior
LCC @ Delphos St. John’s, Aug. 24 (Week 1) Archbold @ Fairview, Sept. 7 (Week 3) Hopewell-Loudon @ Northwood, Sept. 7 (Week 3) Liberty Center @ Patrick Henry, Sept. 14 (Week 4) Tinora @ Hicksville, Sept. 21 (Week 5) LCC @ Spencerville, Sept. 28 (Week 6)
Team To Beat *Wheelersburg (7-3): The Pirates missed the playoffs for just
the fourth time in 25 years last season and look poised to make it back.
Burg graduated just seven seniors, although one was standout QB Alex
Shears. Look for junior WR/DB Eddie Miller (6-2, 165) to take over under
center. Last year Miller was the team’s leading receiver (20 rec., 339
yards) and scored three TDs (one each receiving, punt return and kickoff
return). He also added five INTs. Also back is junior WR/DB Dylan
Miller (6-3, 180) who caught 19 passes for 257 yards and five TDs.
Defensively, Dylan Miller is the team’s leading returning tackler after
making 69 tackles last year (and two INTs). Also back is junior DE
Cameron Parsley (6-2, 175/40 tackles, nine TFL, three sacks), senior DL
Austin Gifford (6-0, 195/38 tackles, nine TFL), senior DB Zach
Cunningham (5-11, 180/37 tackles, seven TFL) and junior DB Tyler Claxon
10 Players To Watch
1. Matt Smith, RB, sr., Fredericktown:Enters final season with over 3,000 career rushing yards 2. Adam Hartz, DB/WR, sr., Wynford: 341 receiving yards, three TDs & four INTs as junior 3. Tyler Stoyle, QB, jr., Centerburg: 1,597 passing yards & 13 TDs as a sophomore 4. Eddie Miller, ATH, jr., Wheelersburg: Two return TDs & five INTs as a sophomore 5. Michael Purcell, ATH, sr., Bucyrus: Chance to become progam’s all-time leading receiver 6. Jared Harris, RB, sr., Columbus Acad.: 1,048 all-purpose yards & seven TDs last year 7. Payton Vanderkooi, DB, sr., Mount Gilead: Had three INTs & two TDs in a game last year 8. Alex Bare, QB, sr., Dawson-Bryant: Outstanding hoops player had 12 TDs last year 9. Luke Hannan, DL. sr., Liberty Union: All-MSL selection had 66 tackles & 8 TFL last year 10. Alex Bates, Sr., QB/DB, Smithville: Two rushing TDs, passing TD & two INTs in a game as jr.
Team To Beat *Coldwater (11-4, State Runner-Up): The Cavaliers have won more
games (145) than any program in Ohio since 2000 and have been to the
playoffs 15 straight times. Expectations are high again and why not?
This year’s senior class has been tabbed Coldwater’s “best” by several
sources and that’s backed up by the fact that the Cavs Class of 2013 has
the rare opportunity to play in 60 high school games and make four
straight state finals. Coldwater has been state runner-up the last three
years. They want a title this year and are a favorite. Senior QB Austin
Bruns (6-4, 205) is back for his third season as a starter. He’s thrown
for 5,378 yards and 55 TDs the last two years. Also back are key
players WR/DB Caleb Siefring (5-10, 170, sr./team’s leading receiver, 18
TDs, seven INTs), RB/DB Jordan Chapin (5-10, 175, sr./200-plus tackles
in two years, six fumble recoveries), LB Zach Dickman (6-1, 220, sr./143
tackles), OL/DE Jordan Harlamert (6-1, 235, sr./67 tackles, five
sacks), OL Mike Rios (6-1, 205, sr.), P/PL Kyle Bergman (sr.), DL Alan
Kunk (5-10, 215, sr.) and DL Cody Madaj (5-7, 215, sr.). Said head coach
Chip Otten (22-8 in two years at CHS): “(We’re) cautiously optimistic
with the productive returners we have coming back. We must strive to
become better, enjoy the journey and DTIFG – ‘don't take it for granted’
that we will be successful."
10 Players To Watch
1. Austin Bruns, QB. sr, Coldwater:Thrown for 5,378 yards & 55 TDs the last two years 2. Delvin McDaniel, WR, sr., Pleasant: Had over 1,800 total yards (1,200 receiving) last year 3. Heath Harding, RB, sr., Dayton Christian: 62 career TDs; Ran 4.33 40 at Ohio State camp 4. Nick Campbell, QB, jr., Versailles: Had 3,776 total yards & 46 TDs as a sophomore 5. Matt Isaacs, TE/DE, sr., Dixie: Led team in tackles (101) & TFL (16); Added 25 rec. 6. Caleb Siefring, WR/DB, sr., Coldwater: Scored 18 TDs & had seven INTs as a junior 7. Michael Fellers, ATH, jr., Miami East: 1,486 total yards, 10 TDs, 48 tackles & six INTs last year 8. Colton Young, QB, sr., Triad: Accounted for 24 TDs & 2,361 total yards as junior 9. Riley Sims, QB, sr., West Liberty-Salem: Accounted for 1,847 total yards & 24 TDs last year 10. Chandon Williams, WR, sr., Anna: Caught 38 passes for 702 yards & six TDs last year
Coldwater at Kenton, Aug. 24 (Week 1) North Union @ Marion Pleasant, Aug. 31 (Week 2) Marion Local @ West Jefferson, Aug. 31 (Week 2) Coldwater @ Versailles, Sept. 7 (Week 3) Miami East @ Covington, Sept. 28 (Week 6) Triad @ West Liberty-Salem, Oct. 26 (Week 10)