The second night of the Ohio High School Football Playoffs is in the books
and so is the season for 48 more teams. Upsets? Yep. Shockers?
Yep? Final Scores? Yep...it's all here.
What We Learned
1. Chuck Kyle claims No. 300: Cleveland St. Ignatius head coach Chuck Kyle won his 300th career game as the defending D-I state champion Wildcats beat Austintown-Fitch 35-26. Kyle has led Ignatius to 11 D-I state titles. The Wildcats outgained Fitch 243-28 in total yards in the first half but held just a 14-7 lead thanks in part to three turnovers. In the third quarter Senior RB Tim McVey got things going when he scored the 50th TD of his career.
2. Coldwater is hot: The Cavaliers started their march towards a fourth straight Division V state final with a 42-7 win over Miami East in the D-V Region 20 quarterfinals. Senior QB Austin Bruns threw five first half TDs and completed 20-of-26 passes for 343 yards before exiting in the third quarter. At halftime Coldwater had outgainned Miami East 404-25 in total yards. The victory improved the MAC’s all-time regional quarterfinal record against non-MAC teams to 48-1.
3. Pickerington North has Pickerington Central’s number – Again: After going 0-5 against archrival Pickerington Central in their first five meetings, Pick North is 2-0 against the Tigers this season. And its gets better. The Panthers have shut out Pick Central both times. Following up its 37-0 win over the Tigers in Week 6, Pick North beat Pick Central 24-0 Friday in D-I Region 3. The Panthers allowed the Tigers 93 yards of offense.
4. Alter bows out early again: For the second straight season Alter fell in the first round of the D-III Region 12 playoffs. Springfield Shawnee, which needed to beat Tippecanoe in Week 1 just to make the playoffs, beat the Knights 42-34. Alter led 34-21 in the third quarter. Last year Dayton Thurgood Marshall beat Alter in the first round (35-27).
5. McKinley vs Massillon II: One of the country’s greatest high school football rivalries will play out for the second time in three weeks next Saturday when Canton McKinley and Massillon Washington meet in a D-I Region 2 semifinal. Massillon set a school record for most points in a playoff game with a 63-28 win over Macedonia Nordonia, while McKinley rally to beat North Canton Hoover 36-29. In Week 10 Massillon beat McKinley 37-29.
6. Kirtland continues to win: The Hornets – the defending D-V state champions – won their 26th straight game with a 49-7 win over Beverly Fort Frye. Kirtland racked up 531 yards of offense, including 470 on the ground. Senior RB Damon Washington ran for 175 yards and a TD on eight carries and also returned an interception for a TD.
7. Bryan and Napoleon will meet: As our media partner BryanSports.com tweeted Saturday “The matchup NW Ohio has been waiting for” has arrived. In deed. Undefeateds Bryan (No. 7 in the final National Guard JJHuddle D-III Power Poll) and Napoleon (No. 8) will hook-up next Saturday in a D-III Region 10 semifinal. Bryan beat Columbus Watterson 41-24, while Napoleon beat River Valley 30-6.
8. First Timers: There were several teams that won their first playoff games on Saturday. The list includes: North Royalton, Pickerington North and Lakota East in D-I; Bryan and Athens in D-III; and Columbia Station Columbia and Summit Country Day in D-V.
*Lakota East QB Eric Eichler only completed four passes but three went for TDs as the Thunderhawks outlasted Springboro 35-28 in overtime in D-I Region 4.
*Mentor senior QB Mitch Trubisky completed 12 of his first 13 passes for 269 yards and five TDs in a 45-35 win over Warren Harding. Trubiksy finished the night 16-of-23 for 344 yards. He also ran for 73 yards and a TD.
Saturday Night Scores: Regional Quarterfinals
Lakewood St. Edward 55, Mayfield 27
Mentor 45, Warren Harding 35
Cleveland St. Ignatius 35, Austintown-Fitch 26
North Royalton 38, Willoughby South 35
Massillon Washington 63, Nordonia 28
Canton McKinley 36, North Canton Hoover 29
Toledo Whitmer 28, Avon Lake 0
Hudson 38, Canton GlenOak 6
Hilliard Darby 31, Westerville South 10
Pickerington North 24, Pickerington Central 0
Hilliard Davidson 17, Dublin Coffman 14
Lewis Center Olentangy 21, Dublin Scioto 17
Colerain 35, St. Xavier 14
Elder 49, Sycamore 42
Lakota East 45, Springboro 38 OT
Moeller 43, Wayne 21
Chagrin Falls 60, Woodridge 28
Ravenna 13, Cleveland John Hay 12
Hubbard 39, Niles McKinley 27
Akron SVSM 49, Notre Dame-Cathedral Latin 23
Napoleon 30, River Valley 6
Bryan 41, Watterson 24
Bellevue 19, Eilda 14
Perkins 42, Urbana 14
Poland 38, Marlington 0
Dover 27, Granville 24 OT
West Holmes 35, Indian Creek 7
Steubenville 28, Maysville 0
Dayton Thurgood Marshall 67, Logan Elm 22
Gallia Academy 37, McNicholas 35
Springfield Shawnee 42, Alter 34
Athens 63, Circleville 28
Kirtland 49, Beverly Fort Frye 7
Columbiana Crestview 51, St. Thomas Aquinas 50 OT
Ursuline 64, Garaway 48
Cuyahoga Heights 42, Bellaire 14
Lima Central Catholic 42, Collins Western Reserve 14
Findlay Liberty-Benton 16, Liberty Center 7
Patrick Henry 20, Northwood 19
Columbia Station Columbia 39, Archbold 34
Lucasville Valley 41, Coal Grove Dawson-Bryant 16
Wynford 24, Loudonville 0
Oak Hill 29, Hillsdale 26
Liberty Union 24, Wheelersburg 13
Coldwater 42, Miami East 7
West Liberty-Salem 28, Dayton Christian 14
Summit Country Day 35, Triad 27
Covington 55, Dixie 18