coldshoulder - Hey, we've tried to be fair and not too picky. I didn't even have to beg Dean Wormer to reinstate you. Your answer to #12 was certainly close enough. Most people think Yao Ming holds the distinction of being the first Chinese player in "The League". Also, your answer to #5 ("Donut") is correct. The documentation is below:
What was the nickname Jerry West used in addressing "The Big O"?
DONUT or as Oscar writes, "DOUGHNUT" -
...."He [Jerry West] took to calling me 'Doughnut', because doughnuts looked like big O's."
....The Big O: My Life, My Times, My Game, by Oscar Robertson (page 116)
http://books.google.com/books?id=fs6IXDF80WEC&pg=PA116&lpg=PA116&dq=oscar+ robertson+donut&source=web&ots=7qKmORO58Q&sig=GM6z 6y1-T7hAYoKjOOBNckg_aqI#PPA116,M1
I can't give coldshoulder
credit for "The Cowsills" (#30), but below is some interesting info on the group:
The Cowsills started their musical career in CANTON, OHIO. Their father, Bud Cowsill, was in the navy and stationed in the "Hall of Fame City". He worked there as a navy recruiter. The boys developed their act and performed at many church functions in Stark County. Their first TV appearance was on the old Gene Carroll Show (WEWS - Channel 5 in Cleveland). I'm sure Bevo and some others remember the television program.
is also correct in finishing up #10 by answering "C". Larry Brown, the "Marco Polo of Basketball Coaches", is the proper answer.
Below is the update:
HOOPS - General Questions
1. I am one of a few coaches who led teams to both the Final Four and the College World Series (baseball). I had a 40-game winning streak in basketball against UCLA and I am credited with originating the "triangle offense". Who Am I?
2. Rick Mount, "The Rocket" from Lebanon (IN), commited to another school before deciding to attend Purdue. Name that school.
Miami (FL) Hurricanes (storm)
3. I am sports reporter nicknamed "The Screamin' A". I appear on ESPN regularly and host a program called, "Quite Frankly". I also played college basketball for the legendary Clarence "Big House" Gaines. Who Am I?
Stephen A. Smith (coldshoulder)
4. How did "Cornbread" Maxwell get his nickname?
The movie, Cornbread, Earl, and Me (storm)
5. What was the nickname Jerry West used in addressing "The Big O"?
Donut (or Doughnut, as per Oscar Robertson) - coldshoulder
6. Although Pete Maravich played for his father (Press) at LSU, what school did "Pistol" really want to attend?
West Virginia (storm)
7. I am a sports reporter who covers the NFL for ESPN. My step-mother is Diane Sawyer. Who Am I?
8. What Ohio high school has the distinction of having an alum play in the first MLB All-Star Game, the first NBA All-Star Game, and the first Super Bowl?
Newark High School (rdlwolverine)
9. This relatively well-known county (sometimes infamously) takes credit for the following individuals: Cawood Ledford ("Voice of the Wildcats" for five decades), Bernie Bickerstaff (NBA), Wah-Wah Jones (only UK player to have his number retired in both football and basketball), and Nick Lachey (pop music). Name this SE Kentucky county that also has had union issues with the coal miners.
10. Name three D-I basketball coaches who ended their college coaching careers by winning the NCAA Championship.
.....A. John Wooden - UCLA, 1975 (barney)
.....B. Al McGuire - Marquette, 1977 (barney)
.....C. Larry Brown - Kansas, 1988 (rdlwolverine)
11. Two 1975 NBA first-round draft choices were picked by pro teams from the same city in which they played college ball. Name them.
.....A. David Meyers - UCLA and Lakers (barney)
12. I was the first Chinese basketball player to participate in an NBA game. Who Am I?
Wang Zhizhi, Dallas Mavs (coldshoulder)
13. What college coach has the best winning percentage over the last five years?
14. Tennessee's Bruce Pearl attended Boston College. As an undgrad, he was the student manager for the basketball team, but one game substituted in what position?
Eagle Mascot (barney)
15. Former UCLA coach, John Wooden, coached at two high schools before moving to the college ranks at Indiana State. At what high school did John Wooden coach for two season before moving Muncie Central High School?
Dayton (KY) High School (JoeA1010)
Before I changed my name, I was known as Lew Alcindor. I led my NYC high school to three straight city championships and 71-straight wins. Some other rather famous people attended my high school alma mater. Identify the following individuals who attended my high school:
.....A. I am former Division I basketball coach (four different colleges). Who Am I?
.....B. I am a former All-American and NBA star who now has an NBA front office position. Who Am I?
.....C. I am a former Division II player (American International College) who is currently an assistant coach with the Sacramento Kings. Who Am I?
.....D. I am a former college and NBA player. I received my law degree from Harvard and served as the Assistant District Attorney in Brooklyn. Today, I am better known as a basketball analyst for ESPN and CBS. Who Am I?
Len Elmore (barney)
.....E. I am best known as an NBA official. I have the record in "The League" for most games officiated. Who Am I?
"Flower Power" Songs - Identify the recording artists
16 .Let's Live for Today, The Grass Roots (Bevo)
17. Darling Be Home Soon, The Lovin' Spoonful (Bevo)
18. I Was Made to Love Her, Stevie Wonder (JoeA1010)
19. Pleasant Valley Sunday, The Monkees (Bevo)
20. I Feel Free, Cream (JoeA1010)
21. So You Want to Be a Rock 'n' Roll Star, The Byrds (Bevo)
22. I Had Too Much to Dream (Last Night), UNANSWERED
23. Friday on My Mind, The Easy Beats (Zunardo)
24. (We Ain't Got) Nothin' Yet, UNANSWERED
25. Season of the Witch, Donovan (coldshoulder)
26. Wake Me, Shake Me, UNANSWERED
27. Down on Me, Big Brother & the Holding Company (rdlwoverine)
28. Not So Sweet Martha Lorraine (single version)
29. Pushin' Too Hard, UNANSWERED
30. Get Together, UNANSWERED
F. Brooklyn College's athletic teams are known as "Bridges". The college's previous nickname was also the name of a group who had a huge #1 song in the early 1960s. Name the group's hit song.
G. I am in the Rock and Roll Fame as a singer-songwriter. Besides my own hits, I wrote Top Ten hits for The Crystals ("He's a Rebel, #1) and Ricky Nelson ("Hello Mary Lou, #9). Who Am I?
H. Wink Martindale, the TV game host and former DJ, discovered a young teenage California girl who had a big hit in 1960. Her song, a "One-Hit Wonder" went all the way to #3 on the Billboard charts. Name the performing artist.
Starting Friday morning (6:00 A.M.), everyone has 5 MORE GUESSES, but still NO GOOGLING.