No announcement yet.
Whitmer basketball coach Bruce Smith Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• USA70PP
    Reply to Mt. Union 2014
    USA70PP
    Mount Union defeats Wilmington 74-7. 7-0 on the year.
    Today, 05:02 PM
  • joe51391
    Reply to Cross County Conference 2014
    joe51391
    TCN will win at least 7 games next year and Covington should be about the same. I look for Bethel and Arcanum to be much improved and ME to be the team to beat. NT and TVS will be much worse because...
    Today, 05:00 PM
  • panthernut36
    Reply to D4 Region 13 after week 8
    panthernut36
    And that means???? The teams in this region have playoff experience as well ... Do we have the state titles to show for it? No but when you play teams like steubenville mooney SVSM and the likes not...
    Today, 04:59 PM

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whitmer basketball coach Bruce Smith

http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs...NEWS16/8010318

IMO Coach Smith can not go back and coach that team. Even if this isnt true he is ruined as a coach at Whitmer.

A darn shame. As a black man myself, I would love to see the race card retired once and for all. IMO I think this is a witch hunt orchestrated by parents. Coaching is surely a thankless profession. As much as I miss it I am glad I got out 20 years ago.

Comment

Some of the supposed things he said seemed bad (like saying 'put your hands up like the cops are behind you'), but others did not (like calling someone hanging on the rim a monkey).

But I agree that he won't be able to coach there again. How could he when it seems like half the team is against him?

Comment

Not sure what will happen. I don't see the administration and school board firing him either.

Comment

Even if they dont fire him how can he coach that team again? I would resign and go watch my son at purdue for the next 2 yrs then find another coaching job.

Comment

The Blade is a sinking ship. It needs tabloid stories like this to sell their rag.
            If there was a dog killed yesterday THAT would be the lead story on today's front page.

Comment

I would not resign if I was him. He has plenty of people that are backing him. He is a great coach and a better person. These idiot parents don't realize what they are doing. The Hayes kid will get a red flag put on him in the recruiting rings. What coach is going to risk his career on this kid. If u think the college coaches won't take this into consideration when recruiting this kid u are crazy.

Comment

Agreed.

Comment

Originally posted by tclvet View Post
                  A darn shame. As a black man myself, I would love to see the race card retired once and for all. IMO I think this is a witch hunt orchestrated by parents. Coaching is surely a thankless profession. As much as I miss it I am glad I got out 20 years ago.
                  Race is an issue because you are making it one.

Comment

What's wrong with the Hayes kid and his parents taken offense to something?I think Smith's problem is going to be separating the practices like he did.I'm a Black man and didn't get bent out of shape on the curious george comment.But i'm not the kids parent so I don't know how it was taken or made them feel.The hayes' kids,Wormley are D1 players with or without Smith and people are allowed to have feelings and opinions.If they don't like Smith's style just transfer the kids out.

Comment

Originally posted by litlguysdad View Post
                      Race is an issue because you are making it one.
                      No it's an issue when you divide the practice between black players and white players.What the purpose was of doing that I would like to know.

Comment

Originally posted by yattamin View Post
                        The hayes' kids,Wormley are D1 players with or without Smith and people are allowed to have feelings and opinions.If they don't like Smith's style just transfer the kids out.
                        Reading the Blade's comment area, there is a suggestion that this whole thing might be cover to do just that. Evidently one or more have been in contact with one of the parochial schools, and, with the typical community scorn of a public-school student-athlete jumping schools between seasons, having an unresolved dustup with the coaches, which the school cannot resolve if it doesn't exist, is good cover for transferring out of the district without the stigma of "becoming a blue-chip-athlete Catholic right before my senior year".

Comment

Originally posted by Village Idiot View Post
                          Reading the Blade's comment area, there is a suggestion that this whole thing might be cover to do just that. Evidently one or more have been in contact with one of the parochial schools, and, with the typical community scorn of a public-school student-athlete jumping schools between seasons, having an unresolved dustup with the coaches, which the school cannot resolve if it doesn't exist, is good cover for transferring out of the district without the stigma of "becoming a blue-chip-athlete Catholic right before my senior year".
                          That sounds very plausible but it doesn't excuse the dividing up the practice along racial lines.If kids are man enough to transfer they should be man enough to take the heat that goes along with it.

Comment

If he in fact seperated the players based on race as well as telling the biracial players they have to choose. Throw him out he is not fit to coach young men.

Comment

more apathy

Comment

Working...
                              X