X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Team Mascot/Name Changes

With the completion of the Canal Fulton Northwest turf, I noticed that they decided to remove the "Indians" name from the design. I can only assume that this is due to the movement of teams and organizations to remove Native American team names.

What are your thoughts on this topic?
    Personally, if it offends people, I don't have a problem with changing names. It is just a mascot and it is just sports, neither thing REALLY matters. I wouldn't be up in arms if the Cleveland Indians and Northwest changed their names.
    I am curious what on earth Northwest would change it to. The Northwest Canal Boats? hahaha Not sure if there is anything specific to our city that would make sense or work.
    If you were to rename our program, what would it be? (Legit names please.)
    I went through a lot of ideas with my wife last night and I kind of like a shark name of some sort. Maybe just the Sharks, or the Hammerheads, or the Great Whites. I kind of like the Great Whites best. You don't see names like that very often.
    The colors would kind of work. Our grey/white for the color of the shark and the red for blood...haha

PC run amuck!

Comment

Their link to OHSAA still says "Indians":

http://schedules.myohsaa.org/SchoolHome/1162/Month

Comment

This whole thing is horrible. teams give Indian names in honor of them. I guess I should be upset at the nickname Fightin Irish or Highlanders, or Hillclimbers? Bologna!

Comment

• 04goldball
          04goldball commented
          Editing a comment
          I totally agree Freak!!

I'm still trying to figure out why Oberlin went from the Indians to the Pheonix

Comment

We are still the Indians...for now...just an interesting topic to discuss. It isn't my opinion that it should be changed, but is of others. My only thing is that Native Americans might think that they should be a Mascot...kind of demeaning...even if it IS, in fact, in honor of them.

Something funny is that the Phoenix is one of the ideas I had for NW. haha

Comment

"The Phalanx", would be an interesting nickname to change to, provided Greek folks don't get too upset.

Comment

Well remember Oberlin is possibly one of the most liberal communities in the state

Comment

If NFL's Redskins and MLB's Indians change their name, I'd think more high schools will begin to change also. Warriors, on the other hand, can be kept and eliminate the Indian component to that.

Comment

Originally posted by Zunardo View Post
                  "The Phalanx", would be an interesting nickname to change to, provided Greek folks don't get too upset.
                  10x better than the "Fighting Zorbas".

Comment

• Zunardo
                    Zunardo commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I dunno - I kinda like yours better.

If people have a problem with Indians/Chiefs/Warriors, they should also have a problem with Patriots, Cowboys, Vikings, Pirates/Raiders/Buccaneers, Fighting Irish, etc...

I am not a fan of teams being called Redskins or Redmen, though.

Comment

Greenmen ok?

Comment

I'm still tryin to figure out what a Tarblooder is!

Comment

Remember just a couple of years ago a school in Utah changed its mascot from the cougars because it was offensive to middle aged women.

Comment

Being as how I am a commoner, I resent Buckeye Valley being the "Barons" and Norhmor being "Knights". Since all the members of my family that were or are in the military are enlisted, I also protest any team with the name "Generals". Come to think of it, I just plain can't stand nicknames at all. Drop 'em all.

Comment

Working...
                          X