Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Reset/FInd Your Username and Password

JJHuddle members...can't remember your username or password? Get it again here and now. Just click the following link to reset your password and/or get your username: http://www.jjhuddle.com/forums/lostpw
See more
See less
New Lakewood (Hebron) Football Coach Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Lakewood (Hebron) Football Coach

Just thought I'd start a thread. I find this job intriguing. No more than 2 wins each of the last 10 seasons. Who can come in change the culture? Are there any applicants yet? I think there is tremendous potential with this school. It has the numbers to support a good program. Discuss.....

I wouldn't be surprised if one of either Dave Daubenmire or Mike Hensley apply for this gig.

Comment

Unless Lakewood brings in some one with no ties to the school it will be the same ole same ole.

Comment

I knew that Dave was a grad. What is Mike's connection? Where is he now?

Comment

Originally posted by bigdude_222 View Post
          What is Mike's connection? Where is he now?
          As you probably remember he coached at Granville for a while. As far as I know he is probably still in the Newark area. If he wants to coach somewhere he might as well give it all he can and make it count in Lancer land.

Comment

Wasn't he down at Fisher for a bit or am I confusing him with someone else?

Comment

• The FC Fan
              The FC Fan commented
              Editing a comment
              I knew it wasn't going to take long before that got brought up. Yeah, selectively forgot that part for the sake of the thread not rolling off the tracks. I'm not saying he's THE candidate for the job. Just someone who might apply b/c he can

Sorry I brought up old history. My personal opinion is that Lakewood needs new, young blood. Maybe a first time head coach with no connections to the school.

Comment

• The FC Fan
              The FC Fan commented
              Editing a comment
              It's cool - I guess it all depends on IF there is one that wants to take the job. I'm not sure if their previous coach(es) held teaching positions, but it would be a plus to get a coach who doesn't try to get everyone of the best out, but tries to get the best out of everyone who wants to play.

Originally posted by bigdude_222 View Post
            Sorry I brought up old history. My personal opinion is that Lakewood needs new, young blood. Maybe a first time head coach with no connections to the school.
            Been tried before (2005 ) it did not work; won't be Daubenmire either; applied twice(once in the 80's and 2009) did not get the job because of his personal view on things. Why would he want the headache of coaching now he is in his early 60's.

Comment

Who got the job in 2005?

Comment

• gils17
                gils17 commented
                Editing a comment
                2005-2008 Scott Elwer

Daubenmire would be an awesome coach but obviously there is zero chance of that happening.

I don't know if they need somebody with ties to the school or not... either has good and bad points...

They need somebody who is going to stay around... is sold on a system, put it in and sticks with it!

With family coming up through the school system and various other issues I end up going to a couple Lakewood games a year for the past 10-15 years... A friend of mine who went to Sheridan and me have made it a yearly trip to see Lakewood/Sheridan week one... this year I saw them play Heath and our Junior High Band member had us at the Northridge game...

what strikes me is that nearly every year... new coach or not... they COMPLETELY switch their style of play

I THINK it was Elwer but I might be mistaken... but he came in and preached power football and they lined up in tight formations and pounded the ball up the middle... they didn't win many games of course but as the season went on they got stronger... I remember telling people I like the direction because they were developing and identity...

The next year they are running a spread offense...

It's not about a what system... it's about running a system (offense and defense)... selling it to the kids and getting them to learn it up and down the program

you take a kid who hasn't had a lot of success and sees his school having no success... teach him to be a power drive blocker... then the very next year you suddenly want him to block from a 2 point stance in a spread? it just ain't working...

Second, he needs to be active with the kids... even if that is just putting in appearances and making suggestions to the youth league coaches... helping them with practice schedules, etc.

our young nephews got a flyer to go to a Lakewood football camp last summer... he showed up and there were a few kids in the parking lot wondering around... no football coaches... finally some folks practicing baseball or softball told them nobody was there and that "happened all the time"...

The boys ended up playing soccer and enjoy it and probably will never go back to football...

So between our boy and nephews going down to Lakewood... three boys under 10... and all interested in sports with parents who want them in sports... already football is out for baseball and soccer

Lakewood gets a HUGE turnout of youth league players on their elementary school teams... but nearly all those kids are gone by high school... the potential is there... but it's going to take being active with those kids like the baseball, softball and band are at Lakewood...

Lakewood has a lot of active kids... and they are active early... you just have to keep them interested and not assume they will just stick with it
              Last edited by buckeyedan; 11-25-2013, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Who ever the coach is, if they don't set expectations of what is expected to get bigger, stronger, faster, and the dedication to get better there will be no change.
                This has to start with the best athletes in the school. I would argue that Lakewood is not getting its best athletes into the Football program. How you change this I'm not sure. If a coach is not recruiting the hallways at all levels it's hard to win.

Comment

A coach that rebuilt a dying football program at London High School into a powerhouse in the 90's Division III and developed a successful brand new program at FCA recently is what the Lancers need. The idea of young coach vs. old coach is old. Daubenmire has more energy than half the coaches in central ohio. Someone told me he was a very good runningback for the Lancers.

Comment

I have nothing, but the utmost respect for what Coach Daubenmire has done. However, I don't see the a public school taking a chance on him. It's sad that speaking his faith has black marked him, but in today's world of public education you have to be more reserved.

Comment

• The FC Fan
                      The FC Fan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      It's not his comments about faith that are hurting him; it's his political "commentaries".

• buckeyedan
                      buckeyedan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Agreed... we can have the faith discussion all we want and sadly it IS an issue that would be a problem...
                      but even if that were not the case his ACTIVE political stances/situations make it impossible for a public (or now even private) school to consider him...

Daubenmire was a great RB at Lakewood... really hurt that he didn't get the job in the early 1980s before he took over at Heath... loved to point out (correctly and rightly so) that Heath rarely beat Lakewood before he coached there and almost never loses since... After a so-so run at Heath he found great success at London before the issues forced him out... then he found the great success with the FCA program...

I'd LOVE to see him as the Lakewood coach but... even if here were interested which is not necessarily the case... it just wouldn't fly

Originally posted by KBHB1 View Post
                    Who ever the coach is, if they don't set expectations of what is expected to get bigger, stronger, faster, and the dedication to get better there will be no change.
                    This has to start with the best athletes in the school. I would argue that Lakewood is not getting its best athletes into the Football program. How you change this I'm not sure. If a coach is not recruiting the hallways at all levels it's hard to win.
                    It's about recruiting the halls of the elementary school...
                    Or more importantly recruiting the fields down at the Hebron park! They have a nice youth program and put good numbers into the Licking County League biddy league program... Get the kids active... PLAYING and keep them playing

They have a good number of flag football kids... then when they hit the tackle for whatever reason the drop off so much more... THEN they strangely only fielded one team at the 5/6th grade level even with 35 kids... Heath had 36 and fielded two teams...

kids don't want to stand over on the sideline if they can go over to the next field and PLAY soccer...

the youth programs get kids out BUT are relatively unorganized... screaming for involvement from the school coaching staff!

It's there... it won't be easy and won't happen overnight

develop a style...
                    play that style down into the biddy leagues
                    be active (at least in terms of guidance) in the biddy league to make sure it's going smoothly and make it "cool" and "fun" for the kids... Like band and baseball do
                    again that won't happen overnight... but I think you can slowly get the numbers up and be competitive and then really get things going in 5 or 6 years when those feeder kids hit the HS

IF a coach comes in thinking he'll turn it around in a year or two you are kidding yourself...
                    and that's a key that so many programs overlook... If you put me on that hiring committee THE key is I want a coach that I believe will be there in 5 or 6 years... which tends to be why folks like hiring a coach with ties to the community... that way this isn't a pass through job

Comment

Buckeye Dan, you seem to have a great pulse on Lancer football and I know you would like to see the program be successful.
                      If I were you and I am not, I would contact Daubenmire and see if he is interested. If he was, I am sure you could help him.

Just a thought-

Comment

• buckeyedan
                        buckeyedan commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks for the compliment...
                        hey I'd love to see Daubenmire coach there... football and/or girls basketball (he too a Heath girls basketball team to the final 4 in the early 1980s)...

He has become much more politically active and at this point he would not be willing to give that up IMHO... and you can't have your coach out there being politically active like that... to say nothing of the religions issues which again... he's not going to give in on... and I respect him for that but it also creates a situation a public school isn't going to work with...

as for helping him... I would be not help to anyone in coaching football
                    Working...
                    X