• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Play Their Hearts Out - George Dohrman.
    find it @ Amazon. buy it and read it

Comment

Hoops,
      I have read it and it is a good read, it kind of lost its luster for me after the hatchett job Dohrman did on Jim Tressell in Sports Illustrated. Plus you are talking about the minority in youth sports who are using it to get ahead in the world, the majority of people giving their time do it because they enjoy working with youth and enjoy being involved in basketball. In my 10 years being involved I have not witnessed it to be any other way.

coachinstands,
      There are more spring teams playing, which is to me a good thing, and the actual teams playing AAU are increasing but for the most part the top 15-20% are playing AAU tournaments and the rest are playing GBA, OYB, etc. We need kids staying active and involved and kids are a lot less likely to play sports on their own now then in the past. Read the current article of Sports Illustrated and their coverage on Title IX, great stats on why we need MORE girls playing sports, not less.

Comment

wow, Steve, where do you play games? It's all around if you want to see. don't need to look farther than Columbus, Cinci, cleveland, and/or others. Many do it for the right reason as you suggest. But, check out some of the "shoe sponsored" and other "elite" programs and you'll see much of what is described in the book. Yes, I have been involved in travel ball & have seen it.

Comment

Steve,

Sorry if I struck a nerve. I really wasn't trying too. I said there were a lot of very good organizations out there! Perhaps yours is one. I also think it is great that more kids are participating. But I also believe that is the problem with today's kids. If it is not organized for them (by parents) kids will not do it. But it is also a fact that because parents organize these things for their kids, they think they are entitled to something in high school. You don't know how many times I've heard it in the stands that "Little Mary plays for the Cosmos in AAU (OYG, GBA,etc) but she is not good enough to play for her high school. Obviously, this coach doesn't know what s/he is doing." Hell, give me $350 per kid times ten and play in a few tournaments, and I will play all the kids equally to keep everyone happy and each parent can think his/her daughter is a star. To my point: Just because you play for one of these teams doesn't mean you are good. It means you paid a fee and your gonna play some. That's basically what I meant by watered down.

I think it is great that these kids are playing, but just because you have a lot of teams in your organization, doesn't mean you are a great organization. I know several great coaches that coach in AAU, GBA, OYG, etc., but please don't tell me there aren't some crooked people out there just trying to make a buck!

And as far as more girls playing sports, I'm all for it. But because of these out of season (that of playing high school) sports associations (not just basketball but volleyball and softball), kids today specialize in one sport because some of these organizations promise them a Division I scholarship. And trust me, some of these kids couldn't play cards in college, let alone basketball (or volleyball, softball). So less girls are playing two or even three high school sports. And I understand that it isn't just specializing that takes girls out of sports. There are many other factors too.

So please Steve, don't try to make it sound like I want less girls to play. All of my kids played basketball in the spring too. But in no way did I think because of this they were entitled to something. They did it because they wanted to, which I gather from most of your posts that I've read, that your organization is about. It is about being there and providing the opportunities for kids to play. I applaud you for that! Keep it going and sorry I made you feel like I was attacking you or anyone else for that matter. I hope this post doesn't upset anyone. Just trying to point out some things that I've experienced (and I'm sure others have too). I have nothing in it anymore. All my kids are grown and moved away. That's why I sit way up in the stands!

Comment

Guys no nerves struck, just giving a point of view as are you. Bottom line most kids are going to do what they want, we have plenty of kids running track, playing softball and playing club volleyball. The kids want to do it and the parents want to get them there. Parents have the last say and the parents that can't make logical intellegient decisions are probably lacking in all aspects of parenting and not just the sports side of it.

I guess I am just a "Glass is half full' kinda of guy.

I will let you know if I see any AAU scum bags in Mason this weekend.
            Last edited by stevebusby; 05-04-2012, 09:36 PM. Reason: Add a little

Comment

Originally posted by dobberjo View Post
              I second that dbhoops 8th grade Flath has a nice group of girls that play hard and there success shows from there hard work. I would agree they are one of the top 5 teams in the state.
              Our team played Tucker Neale's (SMAC) top 8th grade team in Pittsburgh 2 weeks ago and I've seen dbhoops Flath, IMO no comparison. SMAC wins 9/10.
              Sorry dbhoops only plays in local tournaments with no competition. Not knocking kids or coaches, but you don't know what you don't know.

Comment

I know SMAC top 8th grade team plays against frosh and varsity. Probably why you've never seen them play.

Comment

Originally posted by ohiobbfan792 View Post
                  Our team played Tucker Neale's (SMAC) top 8th grade team in Pittsburgh 2 weeks ago and I've seen dbhoops Flath, IMO no comparison. SMAC wins 9/10.
                  Sorry dbhoops only plays in local tournaments with no competition. Not knocking kids or coaches, but you don't know what you don't know.
                  Nice quote"I don't know what I don't know" wow nice ending I agree with you SMAC is a good team have also seen them play and like my statement said they are one of the top 5 teams in the state out of the many I have seen play. They have also played showcase events and faired very well and if memory serves me correct they may of played this team last year in Lexington and beat them as part of there old team. As for the local tournaments yes they probably play a lot of local tournaments but with the opportunity to travel and play some of these big events alot of time and money is involved to get the young ladies to these and not all parents have unlimitd resources to get them there. Could a few of dbhoops players play on the smac elite team with no question in my mind can some them. I apoligize if I am coming off angry I am not. just giving my side of the equation and we all have our opinion whether right or wrong with that said good luck to all the girls on all aau teams for there time and effort they give.

Comment

8th grade teams

Well DLH 7th black split games with Kentucky blast 8th grade team. Have not seen many 8th grade teams with the tallent of this blast team. They have a 6'7 post ( yes she was a legit 6ft 7inches ) Good luck with them at nationals.

Comment

DLH really ran out on the Blast to start that championship game but just couldn't keep hitting the shots and cooled off. Great game with both teams having really nice players.

Comment

Looks like Kentucky Blast won the DII Nationals last year, hopefully they will make the move to DI this year.

Comment

Yes this is Ohio Lady Force first yr, we were formally ohio lady hoopsters and i have sent alot of girls to school no division 1 but a ton of d 3 and this yr my junior ohio lady force team will send atleast 7 of my 8 juniors to the next level, a couple have a shot at some small d1 and d2, as long as we have a good summer.

Comment

Congratulations go out to the Capital City Comets (Fowler) 11TH grade team for winning the Ohio State AAU State Tournamet this past weekend in Franklin,OH (Dayton). The girls went 6-0. They had wins over: Dayton Lady Hoopstars Black, Dayton Metro Welch, Ohio Lady Force, Southern Ohio Crush, Dayton Lady Hoopstars Premier (Coffee) and beat Cincinatti"s Finest in the Championship game. The 9th grade team finished runners up in the tourney as well. They had a hard fought game and lost by 8 to DLH BLK GREAT JOB COMETS!!!#winning

Comment

Originally posted by alexcujo999 View Post
                              Thought the thread was top AAU organization not teams. My top two votes for best AAU organization for all age groups would be DLH and Ciny's Finest in that order. No disrespect intended to any other organizations.
                              Alex,Steve.... I have been looking at this thread and I wonder when the Capital City Comets will get their just due respect? They play "REAL AAU" basketball, meaning AAU sanctioned events primarily. They have been around for 11yrs ( playing at an elite level). They have won 4 AAU State Championships in the last 5 yrs, 1 GBA National Championship and a host of OYB events. Finishing in the top 20 at AAU Nationals (D1) the last 7/8 yrs. No other organization out side of Dayton Lady Hoopstars, maybe Cincy Heat and Cincy's Finest have competed and done this. The Comets average 9 or more players a year into college (on scholarship) go to www.cometsbasketball.org to see alumni list. It's not padded with kids who played 1 or 2 games or 1 or 2 tourneys. These are kids who came through the program or played 1 full season at the Jr level to obtain their scholarship by playing in exposure events. Not many, if any can say that. I feel like a lot of people speak on here without doing their research. It's easy to speak only about what you know, just make sure you have your facts before doing so. Columbus has a great organization in the Comets and they deserve a lot more respect. They already have kid's committed for next yr to the following school's: University of Akron, University of Dayton, Illinois St and Xavier. Not too bad. The only top team's that the Comets have not played this yr is All Ohio BLK and Cincinnati's Angels. I think that they could compete against both! What else do they have to do??

Comment

I agree aaucolumbus, and I did have capital city comets in the top 5, I did do some research and you are not telling no stories. One mistake that I did make was the ohio glory. They have fell off big time. The only real good team they have had was when asia taylor, jackie cook, andola dorch, and yolanda richardson was there 4 years ago. Since then, so-so team. In the last three years, the b team and the fr-soph team has been better then the top team. My apologies there. Smac would take there place

Comment

Working...
                                X