X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mid-State League Cardinal 2013-14

1a FC - best backcourt in the league 1b BU - Hurst is a good coach, good program 3a- GCC 3b - FCA 5- Millersport ?- HP
    Last edited by JJ; 09-10-2013, 02:17 PM.

Every team is going to be Division IV this year, lets see if the MSL is going to block vote come tourney time

Comment

The Mid-State League Cardinal should be pretty interesting this year. I think with Fisher Catholic having most of the players back they will be the front runner. Berne Union has a good Junior and Sophomore class and should compete with FC & FCA for the title. Millersport and Grove City Christian will fight for the middle of the pack and Harvest Prep, if they have a team, is an unknown. Looking forward to seeing how this Division shakes out with all the changes in the league.

Comment

• The FC Fan
        The FC Fan commented
        Editing a comment
        FCA might be above Millersport and GCC but from all the accounts I'm hearing they aren't going to be as good as they were last year and certainly won't be on the level of FC or Berne.

Are Little and Hurst the longest tenured coaches in the league?

Comment

So practices have started, any word how teams look? All teams have JVs? Harvest prep going to have a team this year?

Comment

Harvest Prep has a 22 game varsity schedule for their girls this season. Their site says a coach hasn't been announced yet. My best guess is they will need to scrape up a team by potentially eliminating winter cheerleading.

Comment

• Tinkerbell
            Tinkerbell commented
            Editing a comment
            HP has a varsity girls' coach...not sure yet if they're going to have a team. Eliminating winter cheerleading would not ensure that HP would have a team. The volleyball players that also cheer have no interest in playing basketball.

• Playfair
            Playfair commented
            Editing a comment
            I am hearing there is no girls team at HP this year. That's. a real shame.

• Tinkerbell
            Tinkerbell commented
            Editing a comment
            They tried...not sure why they can't get girls to play. Rumor has it that Gahanna Christian doesn't have a girls team either. Perhaps the HP girls and GCA girls can get together to practice to keep their skills up...too bad they can't play games together beyond AAU.

Word on the street is that both of Fisher's post players from last year aren't coming out for their senior year. That's going to hurt not having post player 1's height and rebounding ability and post player 2's intensity on the court. Athletically Fisher has the advantage and they're going to be more athletic than many central district teams. Coaching is what takes them from a first/second round finish to the district finals.

Heard Fisher lost to Fairfield U in a scrimmage.

Fisher's schedule - glad to see they're finally playing Newark Catholic after a couple year absence. Would like to see Shekinah, Worthington Christian, even Academy or LU on there - better to be prepared for the tourney than racking up the W total against teams that have no business being on the same court as you. Too proud of a program to be playing half of the schools they're playing now. W's and L's don't matter so much if you ask me because this league is a wash competitively speaking. When was the last time Fisher won districts? Was it '07 with Griffin and Lena Barrows (and I think the Kelley girl)? Whatever year it was, it was Petros' last year and they played Waterford at Pick North.
          Last edited by The FC Fan; 11-06-2013, 09:26 PM.

Comment

• fourfather
            fourfather commented
            Editing a comment
            FC Fan, when is FC scheduled to play Newark Catholic? I don't see it on NC's schedule but I do see Harvest Prep as their first game. Did FC replace HP? That would be good for both teams.

• The FC Fan
            The FC Fan commented
            Editing a comment
            FF - December 20 I believe.

• The FC Fan
            The FC Fan commented
            Editing a comment

Heard that Berne Union scrimmaged Centerburg and Grandview Heights. I was told Berne Union started slow but beat both Centerburg and Grandview 2 out of 3 quarters each and overall by score. My source also said Centerburg has some pretty good size and Berne Union is small but pretty quick. The Cardinal should be pretty interesting. None of the teams in the division have much size this year. Could produce some pretty good matchups.

Comment

Hhmmmm. I talked to a FU person about how they are doing and they expressed disappointment about how they did against FC in their scrimmage. That they each won some quarters but FU expected to do better against them.....

Comment

• The FC Fan
              The FC Fan commented
              Editing a comment
              They (FU) still won from the accounts I heard. Apparently FU started some pressing and Fisher just can't break it.

Talking to people at LU, I'm pretty sure that they do play Fisher. It may not be on the schedule for whatever reason. Also, I'm not sure what playing Academy would do for Fisher. They would not be a step up in competition. Danville should be a good game for them.

Comment

• The FC Fan
              The FC Fan commented
              Editing a comment
              Columbus Academy is a step above the competition they can get from playing Village Academy, Mt. Vernon Academy, and Patriot Prep.

• The FC Fan
              The FC Fan commented
              Editing a comment
              Just looked again and I saw LU is early in the year for the lady Irish.

I'm going to try to pose this topic without the (coach) flaming that happened in the stir earlier, but it's a worthwhile topic for discussion. I talked to my friend who confirmed the two centers aren't playing this year. Three juniors aren't playing; as a matter of fact, the four tallest players from last year's varsity aren't going to be playing this year in their junior or senior years.

Hopefully the Irish can find a way to win the league and get to district finals (and maybe further) with the talent they're losing.
            Last edited by The FC Fan; 11-08-2013, 06:04 AM.

Comment

Other than Striker and the other girl(# 44, I think), who else isn't playing? I don't recall any other tall girls from the team last year. Certainly, none on varsity. But, hey, don't let the facts stop you from making your point. You don't want to start the coach-bashing, but you make things up to suit your point. Who are the juniors who aren't playing? The only one from that class to see any varsity time at all last year was the Hill girl, and she is playing this year. Again, don't let the facts get in the way. This seems to be a pattern with you, no matter what the topic. Let's review--BU boys will suffer from the loss of Zody because he brought the ball up the floor--oops, not even close. Coach from Harvest Prep never did anything wrong and is simply a great coach--yep, he did such a good job at building a program that they haven't even fielded a team the past two years. And all of a sudden, the boys program has a bunch of new players--I'm sure that they are all legit. So can we assume that their boys team will win a lot the next couple years and in about 5 years, there won't be a boys team either? Coach Bills got outcoached in numerous games last year and will again at Desales. Says who? You and your expert opinion? I knew Coach Bills when he was in high school and have known him ever since. He knows the game better than most and knows how to teach it better than most. Desales is lucky to have him. But hey, if they lost, it must've been coaching, right? Because you go to practice, you are in the huddle during games, so you know what's going on, right? Let's see. The Millersport defensive coordinator has no idea what he's doing. Again, you must know this because you are at practice and you know what he is teaching. Certainly, none of the responsibility could fall on the players. So tired of the agendas you try to push. You want to come across as someone who knows everything, but you constantly get your facts wrong. Instead of throwing out what you allegedly hear, check your facts before posting. Better yet, get a new hobby, so the rest of us who like to read about the accomplishments of these young men and women don't have to sift through the trash that you spew. I've been a member here since 2007 and seldom feel the need to post, but you've become ridiculous.

Comment

From my understanding, Klamar, Krauss, Novena and Pitts (but she transferred for non-athletic reasons) are juniors who are not coming out this year. "The only one from that class to see any varsity time at all last year was the Hill girl" the Wilt girl also played a good number of minutes last year. I actually don't recall saying David Dennis did nothing wrong but he's a good guy and coach, but hey, don't let facts get in the way of making a point, right?

If you have a problem with me, let's talk. This is certainly not a place to discuss it. I enjoy small school sports and I'm sorry if you're so mortified of it. Multiple people have talked to me saying they appreciate the positive things I do say about their kids and programs.

Comment

Ok before FCfan comes on here and feels the need to defend himself, lets broaden this to a productive discussion..... Because losing players happens at EVERY school, in EVERY sport. And to single this team out.... Yes it does feel like a personal agenda. And singling out HS players on a message board is not cool in my opinion. But I also see FCFan posting very supportive thoughts about his school- so lets turn this into something positive. BuckeyeDan pointed out a scenario in his response to the practice hours thread about losing girls over the years in a basketball program. It does seem to be a phenomenon now adays. Is it the availability of club sports? I think that apart of it. I also think kids today are different.....for good or bad- being a bench player or not "feeling the love" lol from coaches..... Is this the monster created by the "everyone gets a trophy" idea?? I don't know but these issues seem like a more productive and interesting discussion for everyone.

Comment

• The FC Fan
                    The FC Fan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Playfair - I do not think this is the monster created by an "everyone wins" society, but it could be. My position for posting the fact there are players not deciding to come out for their final year for FC was out of curiosity, not an ulterior motive. I am positing the question, "what is happening?" at FC? I don't think FC ever saw as many players not come back during Petros or Faulkner era. I know they're all fall athletes, but is there a reason they don't want to play?

• Playfair
                    Playfair commented
                    Editing a comment
                    FCFan- what I am saying is this happens everywhere.
                    Does not indicate anything about this program....and asking this in regards to any specific school team doesn't get you anything but
                    rumors-never helpful. And as I said before, calling out specific HS players is
                    not anything I can support. .....

Hey, everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I agree that you do say positive things about the kids. My problem is with how you attack coaches. It is my opinion that a coach deserves attack if they verbally abuse kids, put no time into the program, etc. I personally don't want to criticize a coach for strategy, etc because I'm not at practices every day and don't know what is being taught or the individual strengths and weaknesses of the players. Quite frankly, I don't think it's possible for a fan to come to games and be able to make those judgments. For example, I can watch every Louisville game and if they lose, I can wonder, why did Pitino call off the press? But then I come back to reality and realize that he knows his players way better than I do. I think most high school coaches should be praised for the time they put in for very little pay. I choose not to try to criticize their strategies and such because I don't know what's being taught and emphasized. You may choose to do the opposite; that's your prerogative. I just think it gets a bit old.

In regards to Fisher girls, I don't believe Krauss or Novena even played last year, but I could be wrong.

Comment

Working...
                  X