top coaches in 2016

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• top coaches in 2016

Cato from Westerville South. Been coaching for almost 3 decades now with a state championship underneath his belt.
    Staib from Gahanna. He has his team competing for league and district championships every year
    Upper Arlington's coach, doing well with the talent he gets.
    Quakenbush from Newark. Ball club is solid every year
    Drew from Whitehall- Brookhaven is still alive
    Johnstown's coach- tough playing type system is paying off
    Spears from South- improving every year, figuring out what it takes
    Hartley, DeSales, Watterson, and St. Charles coaches, their styles are disciplined
    Taylor of Northland- his style works for him only
    Rice of Briggs- doing well with little talent. If he can get 2 or 3 studs, look out
    Bates of Africentric- He will eventually get over the hump and win that state
    Pettey of Bloom-Carroll- what a guy, retiring and has to be on the list with all his accomplishments

HM- shrininger at WR, Groveports coach is up and coming, Nausserman at Olentangy Liberty, Osbourne at Centennial, Bates of Pickerington North, and James Miranda of Eastmoor Academy

Let me know if I missed anybody

Can you spell anyone's name correctly? Cato....seriously???

Comment

Alex Eversole from Fairfield Union & Seth Martin from Liberty Union; both Fairfield County. Both solid coaches.

Eversole was a pupil of Petty.

Comment

Originally posted by The FC Fan View Post
        Alex Eversole from Fairfield Union & Seth Martin from Liberty Union; both Fairfield County. Both solid coaches.

Eversole was a pupil of Petty.
        Why lancaster did not go get seth martin, is beyond me. Terrible move..

Comment

Originally posted by chargingknight View Post

Why lancaster did not go get seth martin, is beyond me. Terrible move..
          "Hey hey, yo yo / P.B. has got to go"

Comment

might do a great job, but he's had like 4 jobs in 6 years ! lancaster's not doing that !

Comment

Not sure about the boys interviews, but I heard she did not even attend the interviews for the girls coach. I wonder who they selected.

Comment

I think these hires for Lancaster could be very good for the program. Dusty Miller was an Assistant on the Girls teams for years before leaving to coach at Teays Valley this past year. He knows the girls and is familiar with the program. I think this will be really good hire for the Girls. I am not even sure Seth Martin even applied and why would he with Liberty Unions success over the years. My question would be over the hiring of Kent Riggs as Boys Basketball Coach. Yes he has had really good teams when he coached at Canal and I would consider him one of the top coaches in Central Ohio if not across the state based on what he was able to do there. He probably has a state title in 2000 if not for LeBron James and SV/SM. But he has been out of coaching the last couple of years and wonder why he wanted to get back into coaching here. This would be the ultimate challenge. If these work then AD Bosser will look great with these hires. If not, then she will be in the hot seat. But before you throw Pam under the bus FC Fan. Lancaster has been very competitive in just about every other sport. With the exception of Boys and Girls Basketball and Field Hockey, every other sport competes very well in the OCC Ohio the toughest or 2nd toughest division in the state. Her most recent hires in Wrestling and Swimming have really improved those sports and the athletes involved. Considering the constant change of coaches and AD's at Fisher in recent years. It is good that at least one Athletic Department in Lancaster proper has stability. Now let get back on topic from above.

I agree Ed Calo has done the best job in Central Ohio recently and another name to mention as top central Ohio coach would be Kevin Weakley at Worthington Christian. That has been the model of consistency for years.

Comment

(I'm not talking about Fisher; I'd love to see LHS do very well in all sports, all three of us play for our community.)

Riggs is a great coach, but great coaches do not always translate into great hires. And this is such a puzzling hire for the reasons you mentioned. My question is how does KR have *any* energy to take this job on?! There isn't much talent for LHS (there isn't much talent *in* Lancaster across the three schools anyways), and OCC-Ohio as we all know has been murderer's row for Lancaster.

Last year Logan hired Kellough, the former longtime coach @ Chillicothe, and he resigned after one year because he was "too tired". Could we see something similar? It's possible. And if I'm correct, KR has his "30 years" in, so will he even be working at Lancaster, in the building? LHS needs a good long term solution.

Seth Martin is a very well-respected coach. And L90, he's only been there one year. LU, as some will tell you, has been a very tough job to step into since they joined the Buckeye (it was tough those last two years in the Cardinal, too – Lecrone had his seniors quit on him before he was forced, and then that was followed up with RC who immediately quit after his son graduated.) He put out the best product he could've last year. Whoever lands him next gets a steal.

It may be wrong for me to jump to a conclusion to the Riggs hire, but I can see it play out like I saw McKnight's hiring by FC. Some big name (McKnight wouldn't be a coaching big name, but he's a basketball big name by far in Lancaster), steps into a situation that requires dedication and good coaching leadership, and sensitivity to the situation (FC having low coaching retention, LHS not being competitive at all in league play for about 5 years now). McKnight couldn't deliver, and KR is walking into a very tall task that requires the dedication. If he comes up short, he too won't deliver. And it will be AWFUL for the kids.

And at the end of the day, that's who stands the most to lose if this doesn't pan out.

Comment

Not that it's a big deal but Compton didn't quit at LU. He had been recommended for re hire and was informed while he was at a summer scrimmage that the board voted him out. Just wanted to correct that. He didn't choose to leave and many people were unhappy he was forced out. Thought Martin did a good job there last year too.

Comment

Originally posted by TomJoad View Post
                      Can you spell anyone's name correctly? Cato....seriously???
                      Hey tadpole, oops misspelled. My fault. My apologies! I am so sorry! Its Calo. Ok. I feel bad.

Comment

Just my personal opinion, but I think Riggs stepped into this job to bring his son with him, then get LHS to hand the reigns over to him. It'd be a HUGE mistake for lancaster to let that happen.

I do believe I read Riggs will be working in the Lancater school district and remember he graduated from Berne, so he is from the area. I just don't understand why.. why would you say you were too tired and then take THIS job. I know he said he is rejuvenated, but how long does that last?? If he got tired of coaching a team that was winning all the time, how's he going to handle losing...

Again just my opinion, but lancaster should have been approaching Seth Martin. Not seeing if they apply. LU has not been good at basketball and have struggled to compete. he stepped in and they competed and were up 18 on Worthington Christian in the tourney. He's going to be a superstar coach. Coaches come and go, him leaving Logan was for very good reason.. that situation down there is bad for coaches, with parents running things. I think seth would have been a great great hire for lancaster, and he's young too!

Love the girls hire though. Great to get someone familiar with the program, someone you know can coach and win, plus he has a passion for Lancaster. Great hire on that side.

Comment

Eddie Calo is a good coach but also recognize the team he had last year. With the departure of Tom Petty and Butch Kobel (Girls coach out for a few seasons now) I am not seeing GREAT coaches anymore. What I do see is coaches that practice their team 3 or more hours a day and have nothing to show for it. I am not seeing fundamentals, fluidity or intensity. Offense has won out over defense and it seems their is a laziness to the game. Lastly, excuses both team and individual at all levels is at an all time high

Comment

LancNative Don't know Calo , but you are right on with the rest of the above ! It's a joke ! too many good,experienced coaches are going by the waste side . high school basketball will never be the same ! there is little building of programs left ! Parents and AAU basketball is the normal !

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                            X