Napoleon 36

The Cougars move to 5-0

Perrysburg 67
    Bowling Green 55
    Today, 10:35 PM
  • bird
    Comment on Cincinnati Reds 2014-2015 Hot Stove
    bird
    You've got to quit hoping to get much out of Phillips. 2006-2010? He was an excellent offensive player. But he's been on a very pronounced decline for four years now. My best hope for 2015 is that he...
    Today, 10:09 PM
  • skyvue
    Comment on Cuba
    skyvue
    Let them vote also! LOL
    Today, 09:53 PM

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obama administration urges freer access to cellphone records

It's easier to criticize for violating rights than to govern and have to decide yourself. (Reuters) - The U.S. Congress should pass a law to give investigators freer access to certain cellphone records, an Obama administration official said on Thursday, in remarks that raised concern among advocates of civil liberties and privacy.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...84215620120503

Originally posted by DGUtley View Post
    It's easier to criticize for violating rights than to govern and have to decide yourself. (Reuters) - The U.S. Congress should pass a law to give investigators freer access to certain cellphone records, an Obama administration official said on Thursday, in remarks that raised concern among advocates of civil liberties and privacy.

you've seen a democrat and a republican both do this now, so it makes me wonder if indeed we really need to do this in order to provide security. i didn't think so, but now i wonder.

Comment

GWB did it in the name of "security" and as Repubs put it---that's "different".Lo and Behold,pot meet kettle

Comment

It's not different, it's the same. OAB, I could say the same thing -- the Democrats decried it when the R's did it; and now do it themselves. Pot me kettle, as our friend Bethere alluded to. As Benjamin Franklin said: They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. it is incumbent on the government to adhere to our Constitutional protections. Constitutional rights are constitutional rights. I wonder if it's necessary; I wonder if it's constitutional. Very very difficult issues.

Comment

So, is this a liberal position, or a conservative position? The ACLU (liberal) opposes the Obama administration (liberal) and it's quest to gather more information on citizens (conservative) in order to head off terrorism and enforce existing laws (conservative). Help! As usual, I'm confused and don't now which side to take!

Comment

Jimmacqueen -- that's twice in two days where we see eye to eye. This is a dangerous trend. As for your question / comments: It's either neither or both -- I don't know. I think it shows the complexities involved in today's terror world coupled with our constitutional rights. You are rightfully confused. Hindsight being the luxury that it can be, we may look back years from now and see this as a gross infringement of our rights; but given today's situation it's alot more real-time dangerous.

Comment

......So,these terrorist break into a phone factory in New Jersey--steal a million phones.They implant a plastics explosion in each one.They sell them on the blackmarket,The phones can be detonated simultaneously by merely dialing a to-date unused,unrealeased number------oooooooooooh-------sounds like the makings of a Steven King movie.

Comment

Jimmacqueen -- that's twice in two days where we see eye to eye. This is a dangerous trend. As for your question / comments: It's either neither or both -- I don't know. I think it shows the complexities involved in today's terror world coupled with our constitutional rights. You are rightfully confused. Hindsight being the luxury that it can be, we may look back years from now and see this as a gross infringement of our rights; but given today's situation it's alot more real-time dangerous.

the thing, again, that gives me pause for concern is that obama agrees completely. the con law prof in him for sure knows it is a gross infringement and yet he made this call. i know that we can't share all of our intelligence with the public. so, in a best case scenario i'd have a judicial panel of some sort making these hopefully temporary calls, we at least have a president of both parties making the same call.

for the moment, that's good enough for me.

but we WILL revisit this.

and yeah it is a gross infringement on our rights. a good call.

Comment

^^ Agree.

Comment

Requirements for getting warrants to catch terrorists would cripple the investigators too. But that was fine with liberals. I don't think liberals want to get blown up or have to jump from burning buildings. But they acted like they did in order to oppose Bush!

BHO couldn't care less what is legal/constitutional. He's proven that many times. He and his drones are against warrantless wiretapping of terrorist phones. But pro warrantless wiretapping of republican phones (republicans=criminals in his red mind).

When terrorists use new phones for every call, and say only one word when their call is made, there really isn't time to get a warrant. but hey, it's only American lives we're talking about. The bad guys.

Bill Ayers (BHO's idol/mentor) is thrilled.

Comment

Originally posted by bethere View Post
                      the thing, again, that gives me pause for concern is that obama agrees completely. the con law prof in him for sure knows it is a gross infringement and yet he made this call. i know that we can't share all of our intelligence with the public. so, in a best case scenario i'd have a judicial panel of some sort making these hopefully temporary calls, we at least have a president of both parties making the same call.

for the moment, that's good enough for me.

but we WILL revisit this.

and yeah it is a gross infringement on our rights. a good call.
                      Very well stated and I do agree with you. The big question "is this a trend that we really should be worried about?" I do think so because the specified intent seems to be stretching into a position that can set a precedence for future violations.

Comment

It's a very dangerous constitutional issue. Very. The slippery slope concerns me. The precedent is dangerous. I don't have the answer, but I certainly have my eye on it.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmacqueen View Post
                          So, is this a liberal position, or a conservative position? The ACLU (liberal) opposes the Obama administration (liberal) and it's quest to gather more information on citizens (conservative) in order to head off terrorism and enforce existing laws (conservative). Help! As usual, I'm confused and don't now which side to take!
                          Call it bipartisan confusion.

Comment

Working...
                          X