Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Cut kids playing in college Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• o.a.b.
    Reply to What is Mrs. Clintons main accomplishment?
    o.a.b.
    Wow........worrying more about the other parties candidate instead of hunting for a viable nominee from your own party. Looks like FOUR MORE YEARS of LOSERVILLE for the Repubs. You'd think after whining...
    Today, 04:15 PM
  • USA70PP
    Reply to The Quest for Lord Stanley's Cup 2014
    USA70PP
    Your descriptions of last night remind me very much of the first time the Washington Capitals made the play-offs. The atmosphere sounds like it was much the same. Ice hockey fans, here or in Europe,...
    Today, 03:59 PM
  • ripmeister
    Reply to What is Mrs. Clintons main accomplishment?
    ripmeister
    [QUOTE=Homer Falcon;n1139979]I guess my list of Hillary's "accomplishments" didn't come across as I intended. I see a woman of privilege, QUOTE]

Seriously? Let compare to some...
    Today, 03:27 PM

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cut kids playing in college

Can a kid cut from HS Varsity at BIG school still play at college? How can this kid get any recognition?

Originally posted by howmanypoints View Post
    Can a kid cut from HS Varsity at BIG school still play at college? How can this kid get any recognition?
    depends - d3 as a possibility or d1/d2 club baseball

d1 programs have a target list of kids they're going after and kids who didn't play make the high school team wouldn't be on the target list. only exception would be if the kid didn't want to play for his high school team but played competitive travel ball, but your post poses the question for a kid who clearly got cut.

Comment

Many college coaches will give someone in that position a chance to show what they can do in fall practice -- especially at the Div. III level, but also at some Div. I schools. It would be very evident very quickly if the kid could play at that level or not.
      The key would be to contact the coaching staff at the schools the kid is interested in. Most will be happy to discuss the situation with him.
      No doubt that it might be a longshot. It also might not be at the kid's "dream" school. However, it is possible.

Comment

Originally posted by dorciepatrick View Post
        Many college coaches will give someone in that position a chance to show what they can do in fall practice --
        So are these fall practices going on now? Then, should we contact possible coaches and see if they are interested?

Comment

I was referring to the fall practices that college teams have once classes begin at the college/university. Of course, the player would have to have enrolled there as a student in order to participate.
          If you are looking for a way for him to get recruited or looked at by college coaches, then I would suggest contacting the coaches at schools that he is interested in and ask about enrolling in their baseball camp (normally conducted during the summer). Follow up with a short note before the camp starts asking for them to closely evaluate him, then follow up afterwards to see if they have any interest.
          It takes some work on your part.
          Best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by howmanypoints View Post
            Sorry this is so late but the answer is yes. Below is a link from a kid who did it. Good luck:

http://hsbaseballweb.com/eve/forums/...1/m/1297024416

He was cut several times and has just commited to play baseball at Oberlin College.

Comment

You don't commit to D3

Comment

Originally posted by big_rukus View Post
                You don't commit to D3
                No there is no NLI. You can be recruited at D3 but any Commitment by the player does not mean anything till they enroll and show up on campus.

Comment

If you are cut in high school, you are probably don't have a legit chance to play in college at any level. You may make the team at a weak Div. II school. That being said, I think a person should always keep pursuing dreams. On a side note, i love it when someone tells me they are getting an athletic scholarship from a Div. II school

Comment

Originally posted by Patt68 View Post
                    If you are cut in high school, you are probably don't have a legit chance to play in college at any level. You may make the team at a weak Div. II school. That being said, I think a person should always keep pursuing dreams. On a side note, i love it when someone tells me they are getting an athletic scholarship from a Div. II school
                    Why? Division 2 can offer athletic money. They won't be full rides, but they can give money.

Comment

Originally posted by mhatc View Post
                      Why? Division 2 can offer athletic money. They won't be full rides, but they can give money.
                      Div. III. Sorry

Comment

Originally posted by Patt68 View Post
                        Div. III. Sorry
                        Its ok I forget I's all the time.

Comment

Here is a story of a kid who was cut his Junior year in HS, came back his senior year and pitched only 15 innings. He went on to play at a DIII school and this year he was drafted: Ben Klimesh.

http://chicago.sbnation.com/chicago-...ound-interview

I have to imagine there must have been some bad blood or other issues at his High school, because he played on a very good summer team.

Comment

Working...
                          X