The 95th annual Ohio High School Athletic Association boys basketball state tournament concluded last weekend at the Jerome Schottenstein Center on the campus of The Ohio State University. Here’s what you need to know about what happened according to resident guru and senior basketball writer Kurt Stubbs…
* St. Vincent-St. Mary (Akron) tied Middletown’s mark of seven boy’s basketball state championships and just four hours later another storied program joined the party when Villa Angela-St. Joseph (Cleveland) climbed the stairway to seven.
* Cleveland VASJ played in its fifth straight state title game all under the watch of Coach Babe Kwasniak.
* Lutheran East (Cleveland Heights) and Columbus Wellington combined for 42 turnovers in their DIV championship game.
* Wauseon committed 23 turnovers in the DII final against Akron SVSM. The Indians were also held to just 28 field goal attempts.
Poor offensive execution and shooting or great defense?
* You will hear both sides of the argument when it comes to why scores and shooting percentages are so low, but the facts are six of the 24 scores this past weekend were less than 40 points and 13 of the 24 were less than 50. In addition, only two teams – Jackson (Massillon) and Cleveland VASJ – scored more than 70.
Top 4 Games of the Tournament
Tournament Most Valuable Player
* Jayvon Graves of Akron SVSM – Had 22 points, 10 rebounds and hit the game-winner in a semifinal upset of Trotwood-Madison. Followed with 25 points, seven steals and six rebounds to help the Irish to their seventh state championship with a win over Wauseon.
2017 All-Tournament Team
* Austin Rotroff, Wauseon
* James Johnson, Roger Bacon
* Jeremiah Davenport, Cincinnati Moeller
* Jeremiah Francis, Pickerington Central
* Jordan Burge, Lutheran East
* Alonzo Gaffney, Cleveland VASJ
* Jerry Higgins, Cleveland VASJ
* Torrey Patton, Trotwood-Madison
* Dustin Harder, Columbus Wellington
* Miles Mcbride, Cincinnati Moeller
* Kyle Young, Massillon Jackson
* Logan Hill, Massillon Jackson