The second Saturday night of the Ohio High School Football Playoffs is in the books and so is the season for 24 more teams. Upsets? Yep. Shockers? Yep? Final Scores? Yep…it’s all here.
What We Learned Saturday
1. West Jefferson’s back: The Roughriders advanced to the their seventh regional final in nine years with a 21-20 win over Badin in D-V. How unlikely is that? Probably not very if you are a West Jeff fan, but consider, the Roughriders had to replace 10 All-MSL performers from last year’s team and at one point this season were 1-3. The teams combined to score 16 points in the final 3:03. After West Jeff kicked a FG to take a 15-12 lead, the Rams scored on their first ensuing play from scrimmage (72-yard TD pass). West Jefferson returned the ensuing kickoff 88 yards for the game-winning score. The Roughriders beat Badin 17-6 in last year’s regional semis.
2. Moeller and St. Xavier II: The Crusaders and Bombers will meet for the second time this season in next week’s D-I regional semifinals. The Crusaders beat undefeated Pickerington Central 21-13, while St. X held off rival Colerain 29-21. Moe beat X 13-7 in Week 5. Of note? With its win over Pick Central, Moe improved to 10-0 against OCC teams.
3. Wild, Wild West: Lakota West just keeps winning. The Firebirds beat rival Lakota East for the second time in three weeks and advanced to the D-I regional semifinals with a 52-27 win over the Thunderhawks. West is now 7-5 on the season, is the first Lakota school to advance to the round of eight in the OHSAA playoffs and will appear int he program;s first regional semifinal next week. Their opponent? Wayne. The Warriors beat previously undefeated Dublin Coffman 44-35. Which brings us to this…
4. Wayne vs Lakota West II: The Warriors and Firebirds met way back in Week 3 and Wayne rallied for a 34-29 win. Now they meet again 10 weeks later.
5. Coldwater carries on: The two-time defending state champion Cavaliers beat Huron 40-14 in D-V to remain alive for their sixth straight state final. Senior QB and Eastern Michigan commit Brody Hoying ran for 215 yards and four TDs on 24 carries and completed 8-of-13 passes for 150 yards and a TD.
6. Marion Local marches on: The three-time defending state champions moved one step closer to Columbus with a 35-0 win over fellow MAC team Fort Recovery in D-VII. Senior RB Jacey Goettemoeller ran for 122 yards and four TDs on 19 carries and the Flyer D recorded four INTs. Fort Recovery, which earned the program’s first playoff berth and win this season, was 1-of-11 in third down and managed 124 total yards.
7. Benny Snell may still be running: Westerville Central avenged last season’s D-I regional semi loss to Austintown-Fitch by beating the Falcons 44-21 in the rematch. Central scored 27 points in the fourth quarter to rally from a 21-17 deficit after three quarters. As for Snell…all the WC junior RB did was run for 307 yards and five TDs (three in fourth quarter) on 31 carries.
8. Shadyside and Trimble will meet: This is the small school match-up we’ve been waiting for in Southeast Ohio. The two regional powers and current undefeateds will meet in next week’s D-VII regional final. Shadyside beat Paint Valley 41-15 thanks in part to senior QB and Indiana commit Austin Dorris who ran for three TDs and threw for another. Trimble – last year’s state runner-up – scored with nine seconds left to stun fellow unbeaten Caldwell 14-10.
9. Columbus Grove’s groove is back: The Bulldogs, who went 2-8 last season, find themselves in a D-V regional final after beating Calvert 17-7. This is the first regional final GC has played in since winning the state title in 2003. In fact, the Bulldogs two postseason victories this season are as many as they’ve had the last 10 seasons. More? CG started off this year 3-0 but then lost four straight. Since then they’ve gone 5-0.
10. Norwalk St. Paul vs Berlin Center Western Reserve II: Last year, Western Reserve beat St. Paul 22-2 in a D-VII regional final. This year the tandem will meet in the Elite 8 again. St. Paul beat Mapleton (41-6) for the second time this year, and Western Reserve beat Lucas (42-21) to advance.
11. Hudson vs Mentor II: A lot of rematches you say? Maybe none more formidable than this one in D-I. Hudson beat Mentor 41-27 in Week 9. The Explorers punched their ticket to the regional semis by rallying from a 17-10 fourth quarter deficit to beat St. Ignatius 28-23. Mentor beat GlenOak 38-14 to advance to the regional semifinals for the fourth straight season.
National Guard JJHuddle Ohio HS Football Player & Team of the Week Award: Week 12 Nominate Now (Click Here)
Standout Performers: Lakota West senior QB Blake Darland was 18-of-24 for 273 yards and four TDs in a 52-27 win over Lakota East; Wayne junior QB D’Mitrik Trice completed 20-of-35 passes for 447 yards and five TDs in a 44-35 win over Dublin Coffman in D-I. Wayne WR Chad Swanson caught 10 passes for 195 yards adn two TDs, while WR Ahmad Wagner added three TD catches; Dublin Coffman senior WR Kyle Marcinick caught 13 passes for 207 yards and four TDs in a 44-35 loss to Wayne in D-I; Lehman Catholic QB Nick Rourke threw for two TDs and ran for two more in a 31-0 win over Troy Christian in D-VII; St. Edward senior QB and South Florida commit Brett Kean completed 14-of-21 passes for 246 yards and three TDs in a 41-12 win over Olentangy Liberty in D-I; Hartley RB Quri Hickman ran for 157 yards and four TDs on 29 carries in a 42-7 win over St. Clairsville in D-V; Liberty-Benton senior RB Austin Combs ran for 210 yards and four TDs on 29 carries in a 51-20 win over Marion Pleasant in D-V; Wheelersburg QB Austin May ran for 58 yards and three TDs on 17 carries and threw for 80 yards and a TD in a 38-7 win over Ironton in D-V.
Notable: Hartley won its 10th game in a row and rushed for 434 yards in a 42-7 win over St. Clairsville in D-V.
Saturday Night Scores: Regional Semifinals
Cincinnati Moeller 21, Pickerington Central 13
Cincinnati St. Xavier 29, Cincinnati Colerain 21
Huber Heights Wayne 44, Dublin Coffman 35
Hudson 28, Cleveland St. Ignatius 23
Lakewood St. Edward 45, Powell Olentangy Liberty 12
Mentor 38, Canton Glenoak 14
W. Chester Lakota W. 52, Liberty Twp. Lakota E. 27
Westerville Central 44, Austintown Fitch 21
Canton Central Catholic 45, Columbiana Crestview 0
Cincinnati Hills Christian Academy 28, Jamestown Greeneview 14
Coldwater 40, Huron 14
Columbus Hartley 42, St. Clairsville 7
Findlay Liberty-Benton 51, Marion Pleasant 20
West Jefferson 21, Hamilton Badin 20
Wheelersburg 38, Ironton 7
Youngstown Ursuline 23, Youngstown Liberty 7
Arlington 34, McComb 14
Berlin Center Western Reserve 42, Lucas 21
Columbus Grove 17, Tiffin Calvert 7
Glouster Trimble 14, Caldwell 10
Maria Stein Marion Local 35, Ft. Recovery 0
Norwalk St. Paul 41, Ashland Mapleton 6
Shadyside 41, Bainbridge Paint Valley 15
Sidney Lehman 31, Troy Christian 0