The second night of the Ohio High School Football Playoffs is in the books and so is the season for 64 more teams. Upsets? Yep. Shockers? Yep? Final Scores? Yep…it’s all here.
What We Learned Saturday
1. Arlington Strong: The Red Devils did something Saturday that only one other school has ever done – they beat a Midwest Athletic Conference team in the regional quarterfinals. Arlington upended Delphos St. John’s 28-0 in D-VII. How rare is that? With Coldwater (V), Marion Local (VII) and Fort Recovery (VII) wining Saturday, the MAC is now 56-2 all-time in regional quarterfinals against non-MAC opponents.
2. Lakota West Moves On: Heading into Week 10, Lakota West was 4-5 and needed to beat archrival and 8-1 Lakota East to make the D-I playoffs. The Firebirds did so and managed to sneak into the postseason. For an encore West went out and became the first 16th seed to beat a No. 1 seed with a 21-15 victory over previously unbeaten Centerville. Stunning. The Firebirds stopped the Elks on fourth-and-goal twice inside the 1-yardline. Did we mention it’s the program’s first playoff win and sets up a rematch with East in next week’s regional semifinals? Yep.
3. Ram Tough: Jamestown Greeneview played in its first playoff game, hosted its first playoff game and won its first playoff game with a 35-14 victory over Mariemont in D-V.
4. First Timers: In addition to Greeneview, three other schools won their program’s first playoff game Friday: Lucas, Fort Recovery and Ashland Mapleton (all in D-VII).
5. No. 2: Four schools picked up the second playoff win in school history including Westerville Central and Lakota East in D-I and Caldwell and Troy Christian in D-VII.
6. Double Whammy: Marion Pleasant seniors Ryan Maniaci and Kyle Galyk each contributed heavily to the Spartans 49-28 win over Eastwood in D-V. Maniaci, a QB, threw for three TDs and ran for two more, while Galyk, a RB, had 362 all-purpose yards and two TDs.
7. Dominant Effort: Youngstown Liberty was impressive in its 62-7 in over Gilmour Academy in D-VII. The Leopards ran for 384 yards, didn’t complete a pass and had eight sacks on defense. Individually, QB Lynn Bowden ran 13 times for 232 yards and four TDs, while RB Ben Phillips returned two punts for TDs, ran for a TD and had two INTs on defense.
8. 316 and counting…: St. Ignatius’ win over Elyria in D-I was head coach Chuck Kyle’s 316th which moves him into seventh place on Ohio’s all-time career wins list.
National Guard JJHuddle Ohio HS Football Player & Team of the Week Award: Week 11 Nominate Now (Click Here)
Standout Performers: Marion Local senior RB Jacey Goettemoller ran for three first half TDs in the Flyers D-VII win over Triad; Lehman Catholic’s Skylar Brown ran for a 99-yard TD in the Cavaliers D-VII win over Covington; Troy Christian’s Luke Dillahunt and Levi Sims each scored three TDs in the Eagles D-VII win over Miami Valley Christian Academy; and Lorain QB Eddie Williamson threw for three TDs and ran for two more in a D-I loss to Mentor.
Heroics: Wayne racked up 568 yards of offense and 26 first downs in its 42-13 win over Elder in D-I.
Saturday Night Scores: Regional Quarterfinals
Austintown Fitch 15, Wadsworth 3
Canton Glenoak 28, Berea-Midpark 14
Cincinnati Colerain 28, Hilliard Darby 7
Cincinnati Moeller 28, Miamisburg 7
Cincinnati St. Xavier 50, Grove City Central Crossing 13
Cleveland St. Ignatius 42, Elyria 14
Dublin Coffman 14, Hilliard Davidson 10
Huber Heights Wayne 42, Elder 13
Hudson 29, Massillon Perry 0
Lakewood St. Edward 37, Brunswick 3
Liberty Twp. Lakota E. 7, Springboro 0
Mentor 49, Lorain 34
Pickerington Central 7, Gahanna Lincoln 0
Powell Olentangy Liberty 49, Toledo Whitmer 21
Westerville Central 23, Solon 13
West Chester Lakota West 21, Centerville 15
Cincinnati McNicholas 42, Norwood 13
Canton Central Catholic 41, Beachwood 0
Cincinnati Hills Christian Academy 24, Waynesville 22
Coldwater 50, Doylestown Chippewa 9
Columbiana Crestview 34, Girard 23
Columbus Hartley 49, Portsmouth W. 13
Findlay Liberty-Benton 28, Delta 0
Hamilton Badin 23, Cincinnati Shroder 13
Huron 52, Columbia Station Columbia 20
Ironton 26, Martins Ferry 13
Jamestown Greeneview 35, Cincinnati Mariemont 14
Marion Pleasant 49, Eastwood 28
St. Clairsville 28, Coshocton 7
W. Jefferson 36, Cincinnati Madeira 14
Wheelersburg 42, Baltimore Liberty Union 3
Youngstown Liberty 62, Gates Mills Gilmour 7
Youngstown Ursuline 39, Hanoverton United 7
Arlington 28, Delphos St. John’s 0
Ashland Mapleton 39, Wellsville 7
Bainbridge Paint Valley 38, Tuscarawas Central Catholic 7
Berlin Center Western Reserve 27, Toronto 17
Caldwell 48, Harvest Prep 25
Columbus Grove 21, Pandora-Gilboa 6
Ft. Recovery 28, Ft. Loramie 7
Glouster Trimble 55, Willow Wood Symmes Valley 8
Lucas 35, Plymouth 34
Maria Stein Marion Local 40, N. Lewisburg Triad 0
McComb 28, Toledo Christian 13
Norwalk St. Paul 63, Vienna Mathews 2
Shadyside 27, Danville 24
Sidney Lehman 42, Covington 7
Tiffin Calvert 30, Leipsic 14
Troy Christian 51, Miami Valley Christian Academy 14