Division II Girls Basketball State Tournament
Thursday, 1 p.m.
Alter (28-0, No. 2 OGBR JJH/No. 2 AP) vs Toledo Rogers (24-4, No. 5 OGBR JJH/NR AP)
Thursday 3 p.m.
West Holmes (27-0, No. 1 OGBR JJH/No. 1 AP) vs Akron St. Vincent-St. Mary (25-2, No. 7 OGBR JJH/No. 5 AP)
Saturday, 10:45 a.m.
Rogers, ranked No. 5 in the final OGBR JJHuddle Power Poll and unranked in the final AP state poll, is making its first trip to the state tournament. The Lady Rams beat Clyde in the district finals, Lima Bath in the regional semifinals and Bellevue in the regional finals. Alter (No. 2 in both polls) is making its fifth trip and first since 2010 when the Knights were state runner-up. Alter finished the regular season undefeated for just the second time in school history. West Holmes, a three-time state champion (1983, 1984 and 1985) is back in the Final Four for the eighth time and was the state runner-up last year. The Knights are ranked No. 1 in both the OGBR JJHuddle and AP polls. St. Vincent-St. Mary, also a three-time title winner (1979, 1980, 1995), returns for the sixth time. The Irish are No. 5 in the AP poll and No. 7 in the OGBR JJHuddle poll. – OHSAA/EF
5 Players to Watch
1. Emma Bockrath, jr., Alter: Named GCL North Division Player of the Year. Averaging 14.5 points, 4.2 rebounds, 2.7 assists and 2.8 steals per game. Named first team AP All-Ohio.
2. Laina Synder, sr., West Holmes: One of the state’s top post players ever. Snyder owns the West Holmes career rebounding record (1,066 and counting) and owns single-game rebounding records at two of Ohio’s most prestigious events – the Classic in the Country (24) and the OHSAA D-II state finals (19). Snyder surpassed 1,000 career points as a junior. Headed to Ashland. Named one of Ohio’s Top 25 seniors by the OGBR. Averaging 14.5 points per game. Named AP D-II Player of the Year.
3. Akienreh Johnson, so., Toledo Rogers: Already committed to Michigan. Was named third team OGBR JJHuddle All-Ohio. Averaging a team-best 11.5 points per game.
4. Jordan Korinek, sr., Akron SVSM: Kent State recruit was named first team AP All-Ohio. Averaging 19.4 points and 10.3 rebounds.
5. Braxtin Miller, fr., Alter: Knights second leading scorer (10.3 points) was recently named honorable mention OGBR JJHuddle All-Ohio. She was the only freshman to make the 27-player list. Also averaging 3.5 steals and 3.6 rebounds.