The fourth weekend of the Ohio High School Football Playoffs is here and so is the end of the season for 6 more teams. Final Scores? Yep…it’s all here.
Saturday Night Real-Time Scores
What We Learned
Division I State Final: Saturday, 3 p.m., Canton Fawcett Stadium
Mentor (13-1/ONG JJH No. 5/AP No. 8) vs Cincinnati Moeller (13-1/ONG JJH No. 3/AP No. 5)
Division V State Final: Saturday, 11 a.m., Massillon Paul Brown Tiger Stadium
Columbus Hartley (13-1/ONG JJH No. 1/AP No 4) vs Coldwater (12-2/ONG JJH No. 4/AP No. 6)
Division VI State Final: Saturday, 7 p.m., Massillon Paul Brown Tiger Stadium
Marion Local (14-0/ONG JJH No. 1/AP No. 1) vs Glouster Trimble (14-0/ONG JJH No. 3/AP No. 3t)
1. There will be a rematch in D-V: Last year Hartley and Coldwater agreed to play a two game home-and-home series. The first game was this season and Coldwater beat the Hawks 41-16 in Columbus in Week 2. The two meet again 12 weeks later in the state championship. Coldwater beat West Jefferson 35-10 in one D-IV semifinal, while Hartley beat Akron Manchester 49-22 in the other. Junior QB Brody Hoying led Coldwater by throwing for one TD and running for three more (84, 6 and 77 yards). Hartley’s Sam Mackowiak accounted for four scores as well, running for 207 yards and four TDs against Manchester.
2. 75 in Five: Last year Coldwater’s seniors became the first class in Ohio history to play 60 games in four years. This year’s Coldwater seniors duplicated the feat. The Cavaliers are playing in their ninth state final and fifth in a row.
3. Public Perception: Marion Local has a chance to win its third straight small school football title and become the most successful public school program in state history. Since the Ohio playoff system started in 1972, three public schools have been able to win six state titles – ML, St. Henry and Versailles. The Flyers can win No. 7 in the first year of D-VII. ML is 52-9 in 16 playoff appearances. In its 35-6 win over Delphos St. John’s in the D-VII semis, senior QB and Pitt commit Adam Bertke completed 12-of-20 passes for 228 yards and three TDs and ran for 48 yards and another TD on 11 carries.
4. MAC-nificent: The Midwest Athletic Conference has at least one team in a state football final for the 11th straight season (Coldwater and Marion Local). The last time there wasn’t a MAC team playing for a football title was 2002. The MAC is 35-14 all-time in state semifinals and 28-7 against non-MAC teams. Yep, you read that right. Seven times MAC teams have played each other in state semifinals. Happened this year again with Marion Local beating DSJ. The MAC has won 28 football titles.
5. Cat Scratch Fever: Glouster Trimble advanced to the program’s first state final with a 14-10 win over Berlin Center Western Reserve in D-VII. The Tomcats will face Marion Local in the final. The last time a Southeast Ohio team faced a MAC team in the small school state final the outcome was ugly (Delphos St. John’s beat Shadyside 77-6 in 2010). Trimble, however, features one of the state’s top defenses. The Tomcats have allowed 79 points this season (in 14 games) and have a school-record eight shutouts.
6. Moeller earns another shot: After not winning a state title since 1982, Moeller now finds itself 48 minutes away from back-to-back championships. The Crusaders outlasted Hilliard Davidson 13-11 in the D-I Region 2 final.
7. Mentor earns another shot: Third time the charm? Mentor hopes so. The Cardinals are 0-2 in their previous trips to the state final (2006 and 2007). Mentor beat St. Edward 41-38 to win the D-I Region 1 title. Said mentor head coach Steve Trivisonno: “This is for the public schools.” One more parochial roadblock stands in his way next week – defending state champ Moeller.
Saturday Night Final Scores: State Semifinals
Division I State Semifinals
Div. I state championship game is Saturday, Dec. 7 (time TBA)
Mentor 41. St. Edward 38 F Real-Time Score
Moeller 13, Hilliard Davidson 11 F Real-Time Score
Division V State Semifinals
Div. V state championship game is Saturday, Dec. 7 (time TBA)
Columbus Hartley 49, Akron Manchester 22 F Real-Time Score
Coldwater, West Jefferson 10 F Real-Time Score
Division VII State Semifinals
Div. VII state championship game is Saturday, Dec. 7 (time TBA)
Glouster Trimble 14, Western Reserve 10 F Real-Time Score
Marion Local 35, Delphos St. John’s 6 F Real-Time Score