The third Saturday of the Ohio High School Football Playoffs is here and so is the end of the season for 12 more teams. Upsets? Yep. Shockers? Yep? Final Scores? Yep…it’s all here.
Saturday Night Real-Time Scores
What We Learned
1. The MAC is Mighty: OK. We already knew this, but the Midwest Athletic Conference had three teams make the postseason and all three are in the state semifnals after beating their regional final foes 143-13. The good news for other teams? Marion Local and Delphos St. John’s play each other next week in the D-VII semis so one will lose. In its 50-0 win over Triad in the D-VII Region 26 final, ML had 366 yards at halftime. Triad had 20. In its 33-0 win over Arlington in the D-VII Region 24 final, DSJ ran for 353 yards.
2. Coldwater is One Win Away…: From a fifth straight state final. The Cavaliers Class of 2013 players became the first senior class in state history to play 60 games in four years. This year’s seniors can duplicate that feat with a win next week. The Cavs beat Huron 60-13 in the D-V Region 16 final thanks in part to junior QB Brody Hoying who carried the ball 15 times for 144 yards and three TDs and completed 8-of-14 passes for 111 yards and three TDs – in the first half.
3. There won’t be a Holy War II this year: Mentor made sure of that. The Cardinals avenged their lone loss this season (26-6 to St. Ignatius in Week 2) with a 26-3 win over the Wildcats in a D-I Region 1 semifinal. Mike Muzic kicked three field goals for mentor, which held Ignatius to 126 yards of offense.
4. Moeller’s title defense still in tact: The Crusaders won their first D-I state title since 1985 last season and are one game away from a chance to defend it. Moeller beat Colerain 35-26 in a meeting of Cincinnati heavyweights in the D-I Region 2 semifinal. QB Gus Ragland led Moe with 205 yards and four TDs on 29 carries.
5. Davidson’s defense comes up big: The Wildcats forced four TOs, including three INTs of Wayne QB D’Mitrik Trice (who had just five through the first 12 games), in a 37-7 win over the Warriors in the D-I Region 2 semifinals. Markus Bailey had two INTs and ran for two TDs as Davidson scored 37 straight points after falling behind 7-0.
6. Ball Hawk: Hartley senior RB Sam Mackowiak carried the ball 24 times for 240 yards and five TDs as the Hawks beat Wheelersburg 42-20 in the D-V Region 17 final. The Hawks ran for 405 yards and scored on their first six possessions.
7. Manchester United: Akron Manchester ran for 616 yards (ninth best in Ohio history) en route to beating Columbiana Crestview 69-21 in the D-V Region 15 final. Mason Hayes ran for 263 yards and five TDs for the Panthers who are in the Final Four for the first time since 1997. Manchester did not attempt a pass.
8. Roughriders Roll: West Jefferson beat Hamilton Badin 17-6 in the D-V Region 18 final for its first regional title since 1982. QB Logan Stepp ran 27 times for 170 yards and a TD as the Roughriders only attempted four passes (completed one for five yards). “They ran like Alter. They never went down,” Badin’s Korey Hawk (17 tackles) told the Hamilton Journal-News.
9. Western Reserve can play D: Norwalk St. Paul came into its D-VII Region 24 final with Berlin Center Western Reserve averaging 385 total and 291 rushing yards a game. WR held the Flyers to 34 total yards and 22 rushing in a 22-2 win.
10. Trimble’s run continues: The Tomcats best season in school history will last at least one more week. Trimble advanced to its first state semifinal by beating Shadyside 21-14 in the D-VII Region 25 final. The Tomcats rallied from a 14-7 halftime deficit and didn’t let Shadyside get across the 50-yardline in the second half.
Saturday Night Final Scores: Regional Finals
Division I Regional Semifinals
Lakewood St. Edward 28, Austintown Fitch 0
Mentor 26, St. Ignatius 3
Hilliard Davidson 37, Wayne 7
Moeller 35, Colerain 26
Division V Regional Finals
State semifinals are Sat., Nov. 30: Region 15 vs. Region 17 … Region 16 vs. Region 18
Akron Manchester 69, Columbiana Crestview 21
Coldwater 60, Huron13
Columbus Hartley 42, Wheelersburg 20
West Jefferson 17, Hamilton Badin 6
Division VII Regional Finals
State semifinals are Sat., Nov. 30: Region 23 vs. Region 25 … Region 26 vs. Region 24
Berlin Center Western Reserve 22, Norwalk St. Paul 2
Delphos St. John’s 33, Arlington 0
Glouster Trimble 21, Shadyside 14
Maria Stein Marion Local 50, Triad 0