The second weekend of the Ohio High School Football Playoffs is here and so is the end of the season for 32 more teams. Upsets? Yep. Shockers? Yep? Final Scores? Yep…it’s all here.
Friday Night Real-Time Scores
What We Learned
1. Massillon still doesn’t have a state title (in the tournament era): Call it an upset. Call it a shocker. Call it what it is. Medina Highland is moving on and Massillon isn’t. The Hornets beat the Tigers 17-14 in a D-II Region 4 semifinal, denying Massillon another shot at an elusive state championship in the tournament era. Many thought the Tigers would challenge for the state championship this season after dropping down to D-II from D-I. Highland had other thoughts. The Hornets had three playoff wins in history two weeks ago. Now they have five and counting.
2. The Ohio Heritage Conference will have one team in the state semis: With no MAC teams in the fold, D-VI Region 22 was wide open two weeks ago. The OHC decided to make it its own. Mechanicsburg and West Liberty-Salem will meet next week with a spot in the final four on the line. The game is a rematch of a Week 7 game the Burg won 32-22. OHC champ Triad is in action Saturday in the D-VII semis against Lehman Catholic.
3. Bayle Wolfe is still scoring: Remember Clinton-Massie’s Bayle Wolfe? McNicholas won’t forget him. The Falcons all-everything RB torched the Rockets for a school record 363 yards and six TDs on 33 carries in Massie’s 52-14 win over Cincinnati McNicholas. The effort broke Drew Frey’s previous record of 356 yards. Up next for the Falcons? Another GCL foe – Alter. Strap it up. Alter beat Massie 32-7 in the 2009 D-IV Region 16 final.
4. Columbus Ready and Newark Catholic rematch is on: The Silver Knights and Green Wave met Week 1 with Ready winning 26-14. Now they meet again. Ready beat Monroe Central 45-14 in one D-VII Region 21 semifinal, while NC beat Lucasville Valley 35-21 in the other. Ready was No. 1 in the final NBC4 JJHuddle Central Ohio Power Poll. NC was No. 3.
5. Tippecanoe keeps moving on: The Red Devils snuck into the AP D-III Top 10 in the final rankings this year but we had them ranked in the National Guard JJHuddle Power Poll all season and they’re making us look good. Tipp beat Thurgood Marshall 30-13 in a D-III Region 10 semifinal to advance to the school’s first regional final. The Red Devils forced five fumbles. Trotwood-Madison awaits. Coming into this season, Tipp had two postseason wins in history. Now they’ve won two in a row. The Red Devils finished the regular season 10-0 for just the second time in history.
6. Wayne Trace gets revenge: There’s always a couple games you pick and after the fact knew you should have followed your gut instead of your head. This is one. Despite losing to Tinora 27-16 in Week 8 (had four turnovers), WT blasted the Rams 40-7 in the D-VI Region 20 semis.
7. Now You Know Why: Cleveland Benedictine junior Jerome Baker is one of the state’s top 2015 prospects. Baker carried the ball 19 times for 252 yards and five TDs in the Bengals 52-35 win over Chagrin Falls in the D-IV Region xx semis. He also had an interception. Baker owns 14 offers, including Ohio State, Penn State, Florida, Michigan State, Michigan, Nebraska, Tennessee, Iowa and West Virginia.
8. Zanesville made a statement: The Blue Devils remained unbeaten and beat the No. 1 team in the final NBC 4 JJHuddle Central Ohio Power Poll – Worthington Kilbourne – 36-0. Zanesville held Kilbourne to 39 yards rushing on 30 carries and had five INTs.
9. Marion-Franklin continues its mastery of Brookhaven: Marion-Franklin beat Columbus City League rival Brookhaven for the seventh time in eight meetings adn for the third time in five years in the playoffs, 20-19, in a D-III Region 9 semi.
10. The best season in Mansfield Senior history is over: The Tygers finished the regular season 10-0 for the first time in 114 years of football and won just their second playoff game ever last week. This week they couldn’t extend history. New Albany beat Mansfield 26-22 in a D-II Region 5 semi.
Friday Night Final Scores: Regional Semifinals
Glenville 26, Bedford 12
Madison 22 Brecksville 21
Medina Highland 17, Massillon Washington 14
Avon 24, Perrysburg 17
New Albany 26, Mansfield Senior 22
Zanesville 36, Worthington Kilbourne 0
Loveland 45, Cincinnati Northwest 14
Mount Healthy 13, Winton Woods 10
Akron SVSM 35, Poland 7
Hubbard 49, Aurora 19
Toledo Central Catholic 42, Columbian 13
Clyde 19, Perkins 6
Athens 55, Tri-Valley 52 OT
Marion-Franklin 20, Brookhaven 19
Tippecanoe 30 Thurgood Marshall 13
Trotwood-Madison 44, Springfield Shawnee 7
Benedictine 52, Chagrin Falls 35
Cardinal Mooney 42 Struthers 14
Bryan 49, Caledonia River Valley 19
Kenton 46, Triway 6
Steubenville 22 Maysville 20
Indian Valley 7 Philo 3
Alter 28, Valley View 0
Clinton-Massie 52, McNicholas 14
Kirtland 49, Louisville St. Thomas Aquinas 21
Mogadore 35 South Range 28
Wayne Trace 40, Tinora 7
Ada 35, Crestview 0
Newark Catholic 35, Lucasville Valley 21
Ready 45 Monroe Central 14
Mechanicsburg 31, Miami East 14
West Liberty-Salem 21, Summit Country Day 13