The second weekend of the Ohio High School Football Playoffs is underway
and 24 more teams bowed out Friday. Upsets? Yep. Shockers?
Yep? Final Scores? Yep…it’s all here.
What We Learned
1. Hartley vs Ottawa-Glandorf will happen: It’s arrived. Hartley will meet the Western Buckeye League champion in the D-IV Region 14 final for the second straight season. Last year the Hawks lost 30-28 to Kenton. This test is just as formidable. Ottawa-Glandorf beat Genoa 41-12 thanks in part to four rushing TDs from QB Caleb Siefker. Hartley beat North Union 43-0 as QB Jared Brandewie completed 5-of-6 passes threw three TD passes.
2. MAC marches on: The Midwest Athletic Conference improved to 53-6 all-time in regional semifinals against non-MAC opponents as St. Henry beat Ada 40-35 in D-VI Region 24 and Delphos St. John’s beat Fremont St. Joseph 54-21 in D-VI Region 22. Both games were delayed by weather. The MAC did lose one school as Minster fell to fellow MAC member Marion Local 41-35 in D-VI Region 24. It was the third straight season Minster and Marion met in the playoffs (and ML’s second straight win). Next week the MAC will lose another team with St. Henry meeting Marion Local for the Region 24 title.
3. Milton-Union can score: Guess we should have seen this coming but nobody did. Through two games in the playoffs, Milton-Union has scored 97 points. The Bulldogs beat Norwood in the D-IV Region IV semifinals 51-8 after beating Westfall 46-14 in the quarterfinals. In the regular season Milton had six games of 40 points or more.
4. McComb gets another shot at Delphos St. John’s: McComb advanced to its second regional final in three years with a 42-0 win over held Tiffin Calvert in D-VI Region 22. The Panthers opponent? Delphos St. John’s – the same team that knocked them out in Week 13 two years ago (56-20). McComb held Calvert to 110 total yards and racked up 505 of its own. Senior RB Jerry Brown led the way with 243 yards and a TD on 22 carries. Delphos St. John’s trailed Fremont St. Joseph 21-7 before scoring 47 unanswered points en route to a 54-21 win. Junior RB Tyler Jettinghoff ran for 255 yards and two TDs on 21 carries for DSJ, which had 541 yards of offense (461 on the ground).
5. Trotwood-Madison survived: The defending D-II state champions had to rally from a 20-7 fourth quarter deficit but did so in defeating Winton Woods 27-20 in OT in a huge Region 8 semifinal. Trotwood’s Isreal Green scored on a 73-yard TD run on the game’s first play, but after that the Rams were unable to generate any offense. With 7:30 left in the game freshman QB Messia Deweaver threw a 5-yard TD pass to Demarcus Wilson to make the score 20-13 and two plays later Trotwood’s Austin Howell recovered a WW fumble in the end zone to tie it. In OT, Weaver threw another TD pass and the Rams sealed the game with their fifth turnover – an interception.
6. New Albany has Big Play ability: Five of New Albany’s six TDs in its 42-35 win over Tri-Valley in D-II Region 7 were 60 yards or longer. QB Darron Lee scored on runs of 85 and 61 yards and RB Alan Watson scored on runs of 71 and 68 yards after returning a kickoff 88-yards for a TD. Watson, who ran for 227 yards on 14 carries and was carried off the field by students, also had a 21-yard TD run. None of New Albany’s scoring drives took more than three plays. In fact, the Eagles had more points (42) than plays (39).
*Norwayne QB Joe Dreher set the Wooster/Wayne County-area single-season passing record when he threw for 311 yards (and four TDs) in a 54-7 win over Youngstown Liberty in D-IV Region 13. Dreher now has 3,181 yards for the unbeaten Bobcats.
*Mogadore senior RB Gary Strain ran for 215 yards and three TDs on 20 carries as the Wildcats beat Berlin Center Western reserve 28-7 in D-VI Region 21.
*Brookfield senior RB Ryan Morosa ran for five TDs in the Cardinals 55-15 win over Akron Manchester in D-IV Region 13.
*Aurora and Kent Roosevelt combined for 747 yards of offense in a D-II Region 6 game that Aurora won 27-13.
*Hartley had five interceptions (and returned one for a TD) in its 43-0 win over North Union in D-IV Region 14.
*Johnstown-Monroe QB Tyler Thompson accounted for five TDs in a 42-7 win over Ironton in D-IV Region 15. Thompson ran for three TDs and threw for two more.
*Junior LB Kevin Maloney recovered two fumbles, had an interception and forced another fumble as Avon beat Tiffin Columbian 24-14 in D-II Region 6.
*Marion Franklin senior QB Corry Benson threw for three TDs and ran for two more as the Red Devils beat Canal Winchester 44-14 in D-II Region 7. WR Darien Wilkins caught three TD passes.
Friday Night Scores: Regional Semifinals
Chardon 34, Kenston 15
Aurora 27, Kent Roosevelt 13
Avon 24, Tiffin Columbian 14
Toledo Central Catholic 45, Mansfield Madison 7
New Albany 42, Tri-Valley 35
Marion-Franklin 44, Canal Winchester 14
Turpin 42, Franklin 14
Trotwood-Madison 27, Winton Woods 20 OT
Brookfield 55, Akron Manchester 14
Norwayne 54, Youngstown Liberty 7
Hartley 43, North Union 0
Ottawa-Glandorf 41, Genoa 12
St. Clairsville 59, Piketon 27
Johnstown-Monroe 42, Ironton 7
Clinton-Massie 42, Batavia 13
Milton-Union 51, Norwood 8
Mogadore 28, Berlin Center Western Reserve 7
Youngstown Christian 25, Malvern 20
McComb 42, Tiffin Calvert 0
Delphos St. John’s 54, Fremont St. Joseph 21
Danville 28, Zanesville Bishop Rosecrans 14
Newark Catholic 20, Glouster Trimble 13
St. Henry 40, Ada 35
Marion Local 41, Minster 34