first night of the Ohio High School Football Playoffs is in the books
and so is the season for 48 more teams. Upsets? Yep. Shockers?
Yep? Final Scores? Yep…it’s all here.
What We Learned
1. The MAC is that good: With Friday’s D-VI wins by Marion Local, St. Henry, Minster and Delphos St. John’s, the Midwest Athletic Conference improved to a staggering 47-1 all-time in Regional Quarterfinal games against non-MAC teams. That’s not a misprint. 47-1. Saturday the conference has a chance to improve to 48-1 when Coldwater hosts Miami East in a D-V Region 20 quarterfinal. As for the regional semifinals, MAC teams are 51-6 against non-MAC teams at that level.
2. We Called It: In our preview and picks of the D-II regional quarterfinals, we pinpointed the Canal Winchester-Zanesville match-up as the best game in D-II and said the Kenston-Tallmadge game was one where an 8 seed could take down a 1. We were right. Canal Winchester pulled the upset with a 21-16 win over Zanesville and Kenston took down Tallmadge 26-23.
3. Ottawa-Glandorf can score: 72 points. That’s what the Titans put on Lorain Clearview in a D-IV Region 14 quarterfinal. Who else wants to see O-G against Hartley in the Regional Finals?
4. DeShone Kizer can score: The Toledo Central Catholic junior QB accounted for seven TDs in the Irish’s 50-7 win over Grafton Midview in D-II Region 5. Kizer threw for four TDs, ran for two and returned a punt for a TD. Yep.
5. Trotwood-Madison, Norwayne and Marion Local all remain alive: Divisions II, IV and VI could have back-to-back champions. Defending state champions Trotwood-Madison (D-II), Norwayne (IV) and Marion Local (VI) all won their regional quarterfinal games by the combined score of 129-34.
6. Glouster Trimble is no joke: Teams from Southeast Ohio have to fight for respect. Trimble earned some Friday. The Tomcats entered their D-VI Region 23 quartefinal against Colonel Crawford having allowed just 53 points this season (and with six shutouts). How good was Trimble though? The answer is pretty darn. The Tomcats limited Colonel Crawford to six points in a 41-6 win. CC entered Week 11 averaging 37.7 points per game.
7. Mogadore moves on: The Wildcats are playoff veterans and improved to 47-22 in 26 postseason appearances with a 49-24 win over Steubenville Central Catholic in the D-VI Region 21 quarterfinals. RB Gary Strain ran for 207 yards and three TDs on 23 carries, while RB Brandon Berry went for 103 yards and three TDs on 13 carries. Mogadore continues to look like the team most capable of challenging the MAC/BVC juggernaut in the state title game.
8. The Regional Semifinals will feature Regular Season Rematches: Kenston vs Chhardon (D-II, Region 5; Chardon won at Kenston 29-28 in Week 2); Canal Winchester vs Marion-Franklin (D-II Region 7; M-F beat visiting Canal Winchester 28-3 in Week 3); and Danville vs Rosecrans (D-VI Region 23; Rosecrans beat visiting Danville 21-7 in Week 2).
9. Minster and Marion Local will play this year: A few years ago the MAC decided to add an additional non-league game in hopes of providing more computer points to its teams and getting more teams into the playoffs. The catch was that not every MAC team would play each other every year with the subtraction of a conference game. The plan has worked. This year five MAC teams are in the playoffs, including Marion Local and Minster – who didn’t face each other in the regular season. That was then. Next Friday Minster and Marion Local will square off in a D-VI Region 24 semifinal. It’s the third straight season these two have met in the playoffs. Marion beat Minster 28-0 in the regional final last year, while Minster beat Marion 30-26 in the regional semifnals in 2010. Buckle up.
10. Corry Benson was almost perfect: The Marion-Franklin senior QB completed 26-of-30 passes for 366 yards and two TDs and ran for 111 yards and four TDs on 15 carries in a 46-14 win over Licking Heights in D-II Region 7. Benson missed almost half the season with shoulder injuries.
*Franklin won its first playoff game since 1993 with a 34-28 win over Cincinnati Northwest in D-II Region 8. Senior RB Chris Hymer went for 214 yards and three TDs.
*Senior RB Ross Douglass helped Avon rally from a 3-0 halftime deficit by rushing for 201 yards and three TDs in the second half of a 28-11 win over Perrysburg in D-II Region 6…
*Johnstown-Monroe senior RB/DB Nick Sadinsky caught two TD passes caused a fumble and had an interception that seasled the win as the Johnnies outlasted Indian Valley 24-21 in D-IV Region 15.
*Canal Winchester DL Deontaye Cosby had three sacks and four TFL in the Indians 21-16 win over Zanesville in D-II Region 7. The Indians also converted two fake punts.
*Hartley had 595 yards of offense in its 63-19 win over Upper Sandusky in D-IV Region 14. The Hawks ran for 501 yards.
Friday Night Scores: Regional Quarterfinals
Kenston 26, Tallmadge 23
Chardon 42, Howland 16
Kent Roosevelt 24, Akron Ellet 7
Aurora 35, New Philadelphia 32
Tiffin Columbian 28, Mansfield Senior 16
Avon 28, Perrysburg 11
Toledo Central Catholic 50, Grafton Midview 7
Mansfield Madison 14, Westlake 7 OT
Tri-Valley 47, Tecumseh 29
New Albany 25, Beechcroft 6
Canal Winchester 21, Zanesville 16
Marion-Franklin 46, Licking Heights 14
Turpin 26, Tippecanoe 3
Franklin 34, Cincinnati Northwest 28
Winton Woods 50, Trenton Edgewood 7
Trotwood-Madison 48, Mt. Healthy 0
Brookfield 38, Ashtabula Edgewood 14
Akron Manchester 21, Gates Mills Hawken 14
Norwayne 48, West Salem Northwestern 7
Youngstown Liberty 48, Streetsboro 35
Hartley 63 Upper Sandusky 19
North Union 40, Galion 21
Ottawa-Glandorf 72, Lorain Clearview 0
Genoa 42, Ready 21
St. Clairsville 41, Harrison Central 6
Piketon 49, Minford 27
Ironton 41, Bloom-Carroll 16
Johnstown-Monroe 24, Indian Valley 21
Clinton-Massie 48, Maderia 7
Batavia 46, CHCA 27
Milton-Union 46, Westfall 14
Norwood 21, Fenwick 14
Mogadore 49, Steubenville Central Catholic 24
Berlin Center Western Reserve 19, Shadyside 18
Malvern 21, Fairport Harding 0
Youngstown Christian 20, Warren JFK 14
McComb 14, Arlington 0
Tiffin Calvert 56, Norwalk St. Paul 27
Fremont St. Joseph 27, Toledo Ottawa Hills 3
Delphos St. John’s 36, Leipsic 29
Danville 30, Hannibal River 6
Rosecrans 26, Symmes Valley 3
Newark Catholic 41, Fairfield Christian Academy 14
Glouster Trimble 41, Colonel Crawford 6
Ada 50, Waynesfield-Goshen 15
St. Henry 45, Fort Loramie 21
Minster 48, Tri-County North 7
Marion Local 53, Bradford 27