The Ohio Prep Sportswriters Association (OPSWA) has announced its officers for the 2012-13 school year. The Cleveland Plain Dealer’s Tim Rogers was elected President, Jackson’s Randy Heath was elected First Vice President, JJhuddle’s Eric Frantz was elected Second Vice President, the Mansfield News Journal’s Rob McCurdy was elected Secretary and the Medina Post’s Todd Stumpf was elected Treasurer.
Ohio Prep Sportswriters Association Announces 2012-13 Officers
Tim Rogers, Randy Heath, Eric Frantz, Rob McCurdy and Todd Stumpf to assume OPSWA leadership positions
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio Prep Sportswriters Association (OPSWA) has announced its officers for the 2012-13 school year after an Association vote last Thursday, March 29 at the annual statewide meeting. The Cleveland Plain Dealer’s Tim Rogers was elected President, Jackson’s Randy Heath was elected First Vice President, JJhuddle’s Eric Frantz was elected Second Vice President, the Mansfield News Journal’s Rob McCurdy was elected Secretary and the Medina Post’s Todd Stumpf was elected Treasurer.
Additional information about the OPSWA can be found at http://www.ohsaa.org/news/OPSWA/default.htm.
The officers are currently planning their next meeting to divide up initial responsibilities, which include duties such as reviewing membership and new registrations, creating a process for publicly honoring sportswriters at OHSAA state tournaments, assisting with the annual writing contest, determining membership benefits, planning future statewide meetings, having oversight of the OPSWA budget, updating district media directories for posting on OPSWA website and serving on the OPSWA Hall of Fame committee, among others. Their biographies can be found below.
* Tim Rogers currently works at the Cleveland Plain Dealer and is serving his second term as the OPSWA President, with his first term coming in 2009. He was one of the founding members of the original OPSWA and is in his 34th year as a newspaperman. Rogers was also the 2001 OPSWA Sportswriter of the Year.
* Randy Heath, a member of the OPSWA Hall of Fame, has worked in the newspaper business for 30-plus years. He was a longtime writer for the Jackson County Times Journal and also worked in radio in Jackson. Heath has served as the OPSWA president on numerous occasions and played a primary role in the recent revitalization of the OPSWA. He is currently the mayor of the Jackson and President of the Jackson County Chamber of Commerce.
* Eric Frantz has covered high school sports for the past 14 years after graduating from Ashland University in 1998. He started his career at the Centerville-Bellbrook Times and the Lancaster Eagle-Gazette before starting the Miami Valley Sports Magazine and Miamivalleysports.com. Frantz is currently the managing editor of JJHuddle.com and is an active writer for MaxPreps.com. Frantz was named the OPSWA’s D-III Sportswriter of the Year in 2002.
* Rob McCurdy is a 1988 graduate of Marion River Valley and a 1992 journalism grad of Bowling Green State University. He has worked in newspapers since 1990 and currently works at the Mansfield News Journal. He is a past president of OPSWA and was also a part of the group that resurrected the association this past fall.
* Todd Stumpf has been covering high school sports for 20-plus years for the Medina Gazette and Post Newspapers, in addition to freelancing for the Cleveland Plain Dealer, among others. He has a Master’s degree in communication studies with published thesis on newspaper coverage of high school sports by gender. Stumpf is also a four-time OPSWA Sportswriter of the Year, including the 2012 Sportswriter of the Year in Division V.