The Ohio High School Athletic Association Board of Directors met
Thursday morning at the OHSAA office in Columbus for its regularly
scheduled January meeting. The following are highlights from the
meeting, including a new statewide XC meet, continued tournanents at Ohio State and Competitive Balance research continues…
The Ohio High School Athletic Association Board of Directors met Thursday morning at the OHSAA office in Columbus for its regularly scheduled January meeting. The following are highlights from the meeting. The complete set of meeting minutes will be posted at OHSAA.org in the near future.
– The Board approved a memorandum of understanding with The Ohio State University to extend the contract for the Jerome Schottenstein Center to host the OHSAA’s wrestling, girls basketball and boys basketball state tournaments through 2015.
– The Board approved the initial list of referendum items that will go to the membership for vote during the annual referendum voting process in May. The initial list is now posted at OHSAA.org and includes one constitution item and three bylaw items.
– The Board unanimously approved a motion to continue to support the work of the OHSAA’s Competitive Balance Committee, which meets again January 31. The motion was in response to a letter received from an Ohio public school superintendent that requested the Board of Directors immediately create a referendum item to go to the membership this spring that would place public and non-public schools into separate tournaments.
– The Board approved the OHSAA to conduct an annual OHSAA-sponsored cross country invitational at National Trail Raceway (site of the state championships) in August prior to the start of the regular season. Participation in the event would not count toward a team’s allotted total of 16 regular-season contests. Junior high teams will also likely be permitted to compete in the event. Details will be released as they are finalized.
– The Board reviewed a list of recent infractions and penalties involving four member schools. Details will be included in the complete set of meeting minutes posted at OHSAA.org, but media may request the information in advance via email from Tim Stried, OHSAA Director of Information Services.
– The OHSAA Foundation will sponsor three student leadership conferences in March, including March 12 at the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium, March 27 at Wright State University and March 28 at Kent State University-Stark County Campus.
– The Board heard proposals from three fall sports and will take action on each proposal at its April meeting. The proposals include:
*The cross country coaches association made a proposal that would allow disabled student-athletes who compete at Special Olympics or Paralympics during the interscholastic season to return to their high school team and compete.
*The volleyball coaches association made a proposal that during OHSAA tournament contests, line judges be certified to perform that duty by the Professional Association of Volleyball Officials or an equivalent licensing organization.
*The field hockey coaches association made a proposal that the start date of their 2012 season be changed from August 25 to August 18 so that it coincides with soccer.
*The soccer coaches association deferred its proposal until February.
– The Board approved Paul White from the Southeast District and Dale Creamer from the Southwest District as the OHSAA’s designated honorees on behalf of a contribution to the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame. They will be honored during the boys basketball state tournament.