The Miami Valley is one of Ohio’s hotbeds for wrestling and this year is
no different. Take a look at the area’s top teams and wrestlers heading
into the season.
MVP’s Fab 5 Wrestling Rankings: Week 1
1. Fairmont – Returns five state qualifiers, including state placers Matt Denlinger and Tommy Kimbrell.
2. Centerville – Returns state qualifier Brendan Watson; gets an added boost from transfer Garrett Conner.
3. Beavercreek – Started strong at Elder Duals; state placer Nick Corba returns to lead the Beavers.
4. Northmont – Returning state placer Jonah Newburg returns to lead the T-Bolts.
5. Sidney – Returning state placer Derek Spangler leads the ‘Jackets.
1. Graham – The Falcons look to claim their 12th consecutive title with the return of Ryan Taylor, Micah Jordan, Isaac Jordan, Bo Jordan, Huston Evans … you get the picture.
2. Washington Court House Washington – State champ Riley Shaw leads to pace a squad with three returning state qualifiers.
3. Eaton – Payton Ott returns to lead the Eagles.
4. Franklin – Wildcats were second at own Invite… will be paced by Matt Middleton and Oscar Romero.
5. Valley View – Bryan Day returns after second straight state tournament appearance.
1. Dayton Christian – Defending state champ Jacob Danishek returns to pace a Warrior squad that placed both qualifiers last season
2. Troy Christian – Jordan Marshall and BJ Toal both return to help pace the Eagles.
3. Waynesville – State runner-up Cody Steiner will get help from freshman phenom Alex Lawson.
4. Covington – Buccs return depth in first year A.D. (After DeHart)
5. Brookville – Look to continue strong run from last season which included a SWBL title.
Wrestlers to Watch
Jordan Branham, Jr., Miamisburg – Two time state qualifier returns for his junior season.
Bo Jordan, Jr. Graham – Perhaps the best wrestler in the state pound-for-pound, Jordan returns looking for his third state title. Cousins Micah and Isaac Jordan also return as returning state champs, meaning another sweep would put the family at 19 state titles.
Jacob Danishek, So., Dayton Christian – Danishek claimed the school’s first state title last year and followed his title up with an 11-1 performance at the Disney Duals this summer, earning All-American honors.
Matthew Kolodzik, Fr., Miami Valley School – Kolodzik enters high school ranked in the top ten nationally.
Eddie Noble, Sr., Lebanon – A state placer as a sophomore, saw his junior campaign end in controversial fashion after qualifying for state a second time. Looks to make a strong run at a title in his final campaign.
Payton Ott, Jr., Eaton – After a bizarre ending to his sophomore season, Ott looks to return to the state tournament after earning hardware as a freshman.
Brandon Walker, Sr., Springboro – When the returning state placer returns is the questions. Walker suffered a season ending shoulder injury in week three of the football season which required surgery. High hopes abound that Walker could return for the GWOC tournament and end of the season.
Matt Denlinger, Jr., Fairmont – Denlinger headlines a
strong Fairmont squad after placing at the state tournament last season
as a sophomore. Denlinger is one of five returning state qualifiers for
the Firebirds, three of whom left Columbus with hardware.
Marcus Windsor, Sr., Wayne – Windsor was dominant
heading into the state tournament, but had an unfortunate off weekend in
Columbus. Windsor returns for one last crack at a state title.
Matt Middleton, Jr., Franklin – Middleton just missed a spot at the state tournament last season.
Garrett Conner, Jr., Centerville – After advancing
to the state tournament last season at Fairmont, Conner switches to
rival Centerville and will add depth to an young Elk line up which also
features returning state qualifier Brendan Watson.
Nick Corba, Jr., Beavercreek – Corba made good on
his promise to qualify for the state tournament as a sophomore, and went
one step further by securing a place at the state meet. The junior will
be looked upon to anchor a changing Beavercreek team which dominated
the area last season in Division I.
B.J. Toal, Jr., Troy Christian – Toal finished second
to Chris Phillips of Monroeville last season at the state tournament.
With the four-time state champ gone, Toal aims to take the final step at
the state tournament this season and join his brother (Zac) as a state
champ for the Eagles.
Derek Spangler, Sr., Sidey – Spangler came out of
the district tournament as a four last year, but knocked off Wadsworth’s
district champ in the first round en route to a eighth place finish.
Lyle Plummer, So., Chaminade-Julienne – Capped off a 40-5 freshman campaign with an appearance at the state tournament. While earning a win at the state tournament, Plummer dropped a tough 3-0 decision in his placement match.
Bryan Day, Sr., Valley View – Day finished 37-7 last
season, but the last two matches – an 0-2 performance at state – is one
thing the Spartan senior will look to change as he concludes his high school career.
Jonah Newburg, Sr., Northmont – Signed and sealed to
Kent State, Newburg will look to reverse his fortunes at the state
meet. After losing to the eventual state champ in the second round, Newburg missed advancing to the consolation semi-finals in a heartbreaking 4-2 sudden victory decision and finished seventh.