Today we release the second annual JJHuddle Preseason Wrestling Power
Poll. We will release a new statewide Power Poll each week from here on
out until the end of the regular season. Like our football and
basketball Power Polls, we will rank the Top 10 teams in each division.
A new season, new weight classes, new super-freshmen bursting on the scene and some new challengers in the preseason Top 10… It should be a fun run to the Schott.
JJHuddle Wrestling Power Polls: Preseason
1. Lakewood St. Edward – The Eagles return 10 state placers, paced by Dean Heil and Mark Martin.
2. Massillon Perry – Perry returns six qualifiers, four of whom placed including champ Zach Dailey.
3. Moeller – Crusaders return seven qualifiers, including three placers and defending champ Joey Ward.
4. Solon – Solon returns three qualifiers, all who reached the podium. They will be paced by defending champs Brandon Thompson and Anthony Collica.
5. Kettering Fairmont – Firebirds return depth with five returning qualifiers including placers Matt Denlinger and Tommy Kimbrell.
6. Wadsworth – Kagan Squire and Nick Tavanello return to lead a squad with four returning qualifiers.
7. Medina – Medina returns two state placers from last season.
8. Mason – The Comets return three qualifiers, including two who found the podium last year.
9. Centerville – The Elks return two state qualifiers with the addition of transfer Garrett Conner.
10. Elder – The Panthers return three qualifiers from last season, all left with hardware last season.
1. Graham – The Falcons look to claim their 12th consecutive title with the return of Ryan Taylor, Micah Jordan, Isaac Jordan, Bo Jordan, Huston Evans … you get the picture.
2. Cuyahoga Valley Christian Academy – CVCA returns four qualifiers, three of whom found the podium in Division III.
3. Akron St. Vincent-St. Mary – SVSM returns four qualifiers, including three who made the finals- and champ Mike Rix.
4. Lewis Center Olentangy – Olentangy returns four qualifiers, two who left with hardware last season.
5. Clyde – Clyde returns three qualifiers, two of whom claimed a spot on the podium.
6. Parma Padua Franciscan – Three qualifiers return including two who placed.
7. Urichsville Claymont – Claymont returns three qualifiers, all three placed including runner-up Cody Burcher.
8. Lexington – Lexington returns three placers from last season.
9. Oak Harbor – Rockets have some rebuilding to do after losing five of their six qualifiers last season to graduation.
10. Washington Court House Washington – State champ Riley Shaw leads to pace a squad with three returning state qualifiers.
1. Applecreek Waynedale – The return of the Nelson brothers after a year off, combined with what returns may propel them to the top.
2. Mechanicsburg – All four returning qualifiers placed last season.
3. Bedford St. Peter Chanel – Chanel returns just two qualifiers, however both reached the title match.
4. Dayton Christian – Defending state champ Jacob Danishek returns to pace a Warrior squad that placed both qualifiers last season.
5. Beachwood – Returns two state placers.
6. Troy Christian – Jordan Marshall and BJ Toal both return to help pace the Eagles.
7. Bloomdale Elmwood – Returns two state placers.
8. LaGrange Keystone – Returns two qualifiers, one of whom placed.
9. Galion Northmoor – Returns two qualifiers, one of whom placed.
10. Waynesville – State runner-up Cody Steiner will get help from freshman phenom Alex Lawson.