The following is a recap from this past week’s games featuring Ohio
High School Hoops/JJHuddle’s top
teams. Who did what?
Here is a look at how Ohio High School Hoops/JJHuddle’s top teams fared this past week.
1. Cincinnati La Salle (8-1)- defeated Tampa Prep (61-28), Leesburg (71-52), and University School, FL (46-44) in the Kingdom of the Sun Tournament in Ocala, Florida. On Thursday, La Salle lost to Dwyer, FL (10-1) in the championship game of the Kingdom of the Sun Tournament, 53-50. Brandon Neel and Trey Casey were named to the All-Tournament Team and Josh Lemons earned the Mr. Hustle Award.
2. Cincinnati Moeller (9-0)- defeated Mesa Dobson (62-41), Sunnyslope (64-40), Phoenix St.Mary’s (66-43), and Mountain View, AZ (36-35) in the Mesavista.com Holiday Tournament.
3. Columbus Northland (3-0)- DNP
4. Huber Heights Wayne (5-1)- lost to D1 No.15 Lakota East, 66-58. On Thursday, Wayne defeated Reynoldsburg, 82-46. Travis Trice Jr. led Wayne with 23 points.
5. Mentor (6-1)- defeated Kingsport Dobyns, TN (83-78) and Mill Creek, GA (72-61) in the Arby’s Classic in Bristol, TN. On Thursday, Mentor lost to Columbia, GA (80-73) in the semis of the Arby’s Classic. Mentor will play Southwind today at 5 p.m. for 3rd place.
6. Westerville South (7-0)- defeated Bishop Watterson, 62-22. Traevon Jackson led South with 23 points.
7. Toledo St.John’s (7-1)- defeated Philadelphia Roman Catholic (54-41) and Richmond Varina (64-48) and lost to Baltimore Mt. St.Joseph’s (75-61) in the Capital City Classic in Richmond, VA. Marc Loving scored 58 points in the three games earning All-Tournament honors.
8. Gahanna Lincoln (7-0)- defeated Independence, 68-67.
9. Warren Harding (5-1)- defeated D2 No.7 Akron SVSM, 70-65. Craig McFerrin led Harding with 21 points and Tre’ Brown added 20.
10. Lakewood St.Edward (5-3)- defeated Crenshaw HS (77-66) and Taft, CA (77-75) and lost to Bishop O’ Dowd (57-54) in the semis of the Max Preps Holiday Classic in San Diego (CA). On Thursday, Ed’s lost to Lincoln (CA), 92-67 in the consolation game.
11. Garfield Heights (6-0)- defeated D3 No.4 Cleveland Central Catholic, 69-59. Trey Lewis led Heights with 20 points, Tony Farmer added 14, and Jermaine Davis followed with 13.
12. Cincinnati Withrow (7-0)- defeated Detroit Pershing (82-73), East Grand Rapids, MI (80-70), and Detroit Renaissance (88-62) at the Motor City Roundball Classic. Aaron Thomas scored 73 points in the three games.
13. Bowling Green (6-2)- lost to unbeaten D1 Toledo Whitmer, 60-56. Chauncey Orr led BG with 22 points and 12 rebounds. On Tuesday, lost to Westerville Central, 67-63. Kam Harris led Central with 22 points.
14. Walnut Ridge (3-2)- lost to Pickerington North, 60-59. Dwayne Bazemore led Ridge with 20 points and junior Adam McCall added 15.
15. Lakota East (6-0)- defeated D1 No.4 Wayne, 66-58.
16. Canton Timken (4-1)- defeated D3 Cuyahoga Valley Christian Academy, 56-47. Jehvon Clarke led Timken with 19 points.
17. Upper Arlington (6-0)- defeated Mercyhurst (PA), 79-31. On Thursday, UA defeated Bishop Canevin (PA), 58-38.
18. Toledo Bowsher (6-1)- defeated Emmanuel Christian (81-44) and Bedford, MI (72-61) in the Warrior Classic. Robert Davis had 47 points in the two games for Bowsher.
19. Trotwood-Madison (5-0)- defeated D1 Centerville, 67-60. Defeated D2 Dayton CJ, 48-45.
20. Dublin Coffman (5-0)- defeated Toledo Waite, 57-47. 6-foot-10 junior Eric Weisenbach scored 16 points and grabbed 11 boards.
21. Middletown (7-1)- defeated Bryan Station, KY (57-54) and North Oldham, KY (73-49) at the Gaslight Tournament. Geovonie McKnight has 39 points in the two games. On Thursday, lost in the championship game of the Gaslight to Jefferstown (KY), 86-63.
22. Toledo Whitmer (6-0)- defeated previously unbeaten No.13 Bowling Green, 60-56. On Tuesday, defeated Perrysburg, 55-46.
23. Lyndhurst Brush (6-1)- defeated Willoughby South, 64-51. On Wednesday, lost to D1 No.25 Euclid, 69-65. Pharoah Brown had 24 points for Brush.
24. Cleveland Heights (7-2)- defeated Erie East (PA), 79-55. On Wednesday, defeated Grove City (PA), 61-31.
25. Euclid (5-1)- defeated Cleveland Rhodes, 75-68. On Wednesday, defeated D1 No.23 Lyndhurst Brush, 69-65.
1. Dayton Dunbar (7-1)- defeated D1 Canton McKinley, 64-51. Keontae Brown had 21 points to lead Dunbar.
2. Chillicothe (5-0)- defeated Gallia, 58-35.
3. Kettering Alter (3-2)- defeated Dupont Manual (KY), 75-66. Sophomore Jaaron Simmons paced Alter with 23 markers. On Thursday, lost to St. Xavier (KY), 63-52.
4. Cincinnati Roger Bacon (5-2)- lost to unbeaten Cincinnati North College Hill, 74-67.
5. Dayton Thurgood Marshall (6-2)- defeated Dayton CJ, 49-43. On Tuesday, Marshall defeated D1 Centerville, 50-39.
6. Cleveland Benedictine (4-5)- lost to unbeaten D1 North Canton Hoover, 58-56. Mark Williams led Benny in defeat with 22 points. Sophomore Harrison Blackledge, who is the son of ESPN’s Todd Blackledge, led Hoover with 20. On Wednesday, Benny lost to D4 No.3 Berlin Hiland, 67-60. Williams and Desmond Ridenour each scored 19.
7. Akron SVSM (3-5)- lost to D1 No.9 Warren Harding, 70-65. Davonte Beard led the Irish with 21 points.
8. Akron Buchtel (4-1)- defeated Youngstown Ursuline, 66-60 in Potter Holiday Classic. Defeated East Liverpool, 90-60 in the championship game of the Potter Holiday Classic. Sophomore Elijah Bell paced Buchtel with 21 in the finals.
9. Chagrin Falls Kenston (6-1)- lost to D2 No.15 Walsh Jesuit, 50-45. Eric Truog scored 14 points for Kenston. On Wednesday, Kenston defeated D1 Kent Roosevelt, 55-38. Truog led the way with 16.
10. Elida (7-2)- lost to West Linn (OR) in the Cactus Holiday Tournament in Phoenix (AZ), 63-57. On Tuesday, defeated South Anchorage (AK), 61-59. On Thursday, Elida defeated Lathrop (AK), 69-42.
11. Urbana (6-1)- defeated D1 Springfield, 52-47. Lost to Bellefontaine, 56-46.
12. Cleveland John Hay (4-1)- defeated D1 Toledo Start, 66-46. Four players were in double figures for John Hay.
13. Zanesville (6-2)- defeated D1 Massillon, 71-61. Cole Carpenter had 25 points to lead the Blue Devils and Tanner Gibson added 22.
14. Carrollton (7-0)- defeated Minerva, 74-51.
15. Walsh Jesuit (5-1)- defeated D2 No.9 Kenston, 50-45. Evan Payne led Jesuit with 19. On Wednesday, lost to D1 Stow, 61-56. Payne paced WJ with 25.
16. Struthers (5-0)- DNP
17. Defiance (5-0)- defeated Maumee, 50-38.
18. Van Wert (7-0)- defeated D4 Delphos St.John’s, 61-50.
19. Logan Elm (7-0)- defeated Westfall, 54-33. On Thursday, defeated Zane Trace, 69-39.
20. Toledo Rogers (2-2)- defeated Sylvania Southview, 70-53.
1. Cincinnati Taft (8-0)- defeated Goose Creek (SC), 50-39 in Piggly Wiggly Tournament. On Wednesday, defeated James Island Charter (SC), 65-42 in Piggly Wiggly Tournament. On Thursday, the Senators defeated St. John’s College (DC), 53-44 to win the Piggly Wiggly Roundball Classic. Junior Dwayne Stanford was named tournament MVP, junior Adolphus Washington was the most outstanding player, and junior Jalean Lowe was named to the All-Tournament Team.
2. Chesapeake (4-0)- defeated D3 No.3 Ironton, 78-70. Nathan Copley led the Panthers with 24 points.
3. Ironton (4-2)- lost to D3 No.2 Chesapeake, 78-70. Sophomore Zaccery Carter paced Ironton with 36 points. Ironton has now lost to the No.1 and 2 teams in D3.
4. Cleveland Central Catholic (1-4)- lost to D1 No.11 Garfield Heights, 69-59. Ra’Saun Smith led CCC with 23 points while Anton Grady was held to just six.
5. Jamestown Greeneview (6-1)- lost to Miami Trace, 59-54. Isaiah Carson led Trace with 21 points. On Thursday, the Rams defeated London, 77-62. Evan Bradds led the Rams with 20 points.
6. Ottawa-Glandorf (6-2)- lost to D3 No.14 Archbold, 66-64. The Titans have now lost back-to-back games. On Thursday, O-G defeated D1 Perrysburg, 61-47.
7. Lima Central Catholic (5-2)- defeated Findlay Liberty-Benton, 51-28. On Thursday, LCC defeated Wapakoneta, 70-47.
8. St.Clairsville (6-0)- defeated Class AAA Parkersburg South (WV), 74-58. Sophomore Danny Monteroso led the Red Devils with 32 points including a 17-of-19 performance at the free-throw line and senior Allen Derosa added 18.
9. Sugarcreek Garaway (6-1)- defeated D4 No.7 Bedford Chanel, 58-56. Paul Honigford led Garaway with 25 points and 12 rebounds.
10. Middletown Madison (5-2)- lost to Dayton Stivers, 62-59. Freshman Robert Caldwell led Stivers with 21 points. On Tuesday, Madison defeated Middletown Christian, 83-66. Matt Houser led Madison with 26 points.
11. Miami East (5-0)- DNP
12. Bloom-Carroll (3-4)- lost to unbeaten D2 Granville, 58-54. AJ Ireland led Bloom in defeate with 23 points and Steve Bridgeman added 19. The Bulldogs have lost four of their last five, but the setbacks were to D1 Teays Valley, unbeaten D2 Logan Elm, once-beaten D2 Canal Winchester, and Granville.
13. Piketon (9-0)- defeated Western Latham, 105-26 in semis of Waverly Holiday Classic. Six Red Streak players recorded double figures. On Thursday, the Red Streaks defeated Waverly, 68-67 to claim the title at the Waverly Holiday Classic. Evan Legg scored 33 points and was named MVP. Jake Kretzer led Waverly with 34.
14. Archbold (8-0)- defeated D3 No.6 Ottawa-Glandorf, 66-64.
15. Columbus Africentric (4-1)- DNP
1. Dayton Jefferson (5-1)- defeated D2 Columbus Mifflin, 91-66. Cody Latimer led Jefferson with 23 points and Joby Jackson added 22.
2. Zanesville Rosecrans (8-0)- defeated Worthington Christian, 52-40 in the semis of the Newark Catholic Holiday Tournament. Zak Kirkbride led Rosecrans with 19 points. On Thursday, Rosecrans defeated Fisher Catholic, 78-41 to claim the Newark Catholic Holiday Tournament. Kirkbride led the Bishops with 24.
3. Berlin Hiland (7-1)- defeated D1 Canton Glen, 58-43. Junior Dylan Kaufman led Hiland with 18 points. On Wednesday, the Hawks defeated D2 No.6 Cleveland Benedictine, 67-60. Five Hawks reached double figures.
4. Harvest Prep (4-1)- defeated D1 Columbus Marion-Franklin, 80-70. Junior Grant Harris paced the Prep with 25 points and senior Shakir Dunning added 24.
5. McComb (7-0)- defeated Hopewell-Loudon, 76-40. Mason Roth scored 32 points including four three-point goals. On Thursday, McComb defeated D3 Margaretta, 51-41.
6. Columbus Grove (5-0)- defeated Goshen, 90-28.
7. Bedford Chanel (4-2)- lost to D3 No.9 Garaway, 58-56. Damon Jones led Chanel with 19 points. On Wednesday, the Firebirds defeated Friendship Academy (DC), 94-63. Devonta Brooks led the way with 21 points and Damon Jones and Dan Bailey chipped in with 18 and 16 respectively.
8. Kalida (5-2)- lost to D3 St.Henry, 56-54 in overtime.
9. Continental (7-0)- DNP
10. Springfield Catholic Central (6-0)- defeated Springfield Northwestern, 56-40. Hayden Hagerman led SCC with 23 counters.