Here is a look at how Ohio High School Hoops/JJHuddle’s top teams fared this past weekend..
Here is a look at how Ohio High School Hoops/JJHuddle’s top teams fared this past weekend.
OHSH “Elite 25”
1. Cincinnati La Salle (2-0)- defeated D2 No. 13 Bishop Fenwick, 63-37. Brandon Neel and Josh Lemons scored 15 points and Lemons added five rebounds and four steals. Trey Casey was a stat-stuffer with 13 points, eight rebounds, six steals, and four assists.
2. Cincinnati Moeller (3-0)- defeated D2 No. 6 Kettering Alter, 58-47. Charlie Byers led Moeller with 19 points, four rebounds, and four assists. Cody Wacker was next with 13 and Alex Barlow added 10 along with sophomore Josh Davenport tallying eight points and seven boards. On Saturday, Moeller defeated Cincinnati Woodward, 66-46. Byers led Moeller with 21 points and four assists, while junior Ben Galemmo chipped in with 16 including four three-point goals.
3. Columbus Northland (1-0)- DNP
4. Huber Heights Wayne (1-0)- defeated Clayton Northmont, 74-53 in its opener. Wayne was led by Michigan State signee Travis Trice Jr. with 26 points. Justen Hollins added 10 and Providence commit Markus Crider was good for seven. Freshman Juan Ford added six.
5. Lakewood St.Edward (0-1)- lost to D1 No. 8 Toledo St. John’s, 66-47. Senior Delbert Love led the Eagles in defeat with 21 points.
6. Mentor (3-0)- defeated Euclid, 104-81. Junior Justin Fritts led the Mentor trio with 28 points and Cole Krizancic (Ashland) and Colin Barth (Wheeling Jesuit) followed with 27 and 22 points respectively. Matt Solden added 11 points and Danny Wallack tallied nine.
7. Westerville South (3-0)- defeated Dublin Scioto, 65-39. Senior Ben Jones led South 11 points and Jaren Edwards followed with 10. Isiah Rogers notched nine points and freshman Daryl Long added eight.
8. Toledo St.John’s (3-0)- defeated Oregon Clay, 70-45. Sophomore Marc Loving (Ohio State) led the Titans with 22 points and Cheatham Norrils and D.J. Bonds evenly split 20 counters. On Saturday, St. John’s defeated D1 No. 5 Lakewood St. Edward, 66-47. Loving led the Titans with 18 points and eight rebounds and senior Jeff Copeland was good for 15 points and 10 boards. Senior Zach Steinmetz added 11 points and six rebounds.
9. Gahanna Lincoln (3-0)- defeated Lancaster, 71-34. Ohio University commit Stevie Taylor led Gahanna with 13 points.
10. Warren Harding (2-1)- defeated Shaker Heights, 69-65. Cleveland State commit Tre’ Brown led the Raiders with 20 points and Jesse Hardin added 16. On Saturday, Warren Harding defeated Erie Strong Vincent (PA), 54-38. 6-foot-7 senior Craig McFerrin led the Raiders in scoring with 22 points including 18 in the 2nd half. 6-foot-8 junior Shaheed Davis added 10.
11. Toledo Central Catholic (1-0)- defeated Toledo Waite, 50-27. Senior Drew Lehman led Toledo CC with 11 points and Whitmer transfer Dareon Jones added 10 points.
12. Garfield Heights (2-0)- defeated Solon, 73-53. Penn State commit Trey Lewis paced the Bulldogs with 21 points and super sophomore Tony Farmer notched 17. Junior Mike Davis added 11.
13. Cincinnati Withrow (2-0)- defeated D3 Cincinnati Shroder, 67-55. Florida State commit Aaron Thomas led Withrow with 27 points and senior Carl Porter netted 13. Seniors Jalen Billups and Kairo Cannon evenly split 40 counters for Shroder in defeat.
14. Cleveland Heights (4-0)- defeated Cleveland John Adams, 83-63. Aaron Ashley led the scoring with 16 points and Sam Collins tallied 15. Junior Sean Dominick added 14.
15. Canton Timken (1-0)- defeated Massillon Tuslaw, 70-57. Bowling Green commit Desmond Rorie led Timken with 20 points, 18 rebounds, and six blocks. Bowling Green commit Jehvon Clark followed with 15 and Chase Polk and Rakim “Rock” Reed added 12 and 10 points respectively. On Saturday, Timken defeated Massillon Washington, 67-49. Clarke led the scoring with 22 points and Reed followed with 16 and Polk added 15.
16. Bowling Green (2-0)- defeated Anthony Wayne, 73-49. Senior Xavier Brown led BG with 25 points and Chauncey Orr tallied 18. 6-foot-9 sophomore Mark Donnal led AW with 17 points.
17. Columbus Walnut Ridge (1-1)- lost to nationally-ranked Huntington Prep (WV), 68-52. Wisconsin football commit Austin Traylor led Ridge with 27 points. Cincinnati signee Jeremiah Davis led Prep with 13 points and Cleveland State commit Charles Lee chipped in with 12. Junior Negus Webster-Chan and Darrick Wood evenly split 22 counters. On Saturday, Ridge defeated D2 No. 3 Cleveland Benedictine, 62-55. Dwayne Bazemore paced the Scots with 16 points and Traylor netted 15.
18. Lakota East (2-0)- defeated Hamilton, 69-39. Cameron Lee led East with 13 points and Mike Boyd added 10.
19. Upper Arlington (2-0)- defeated Worthington Kilbourne, 50-48. Senior Wes Richter led UA with 20 points and Carter Smith netted 14 including the game-winning basket. Miami (OH) signee Brian Sullivan added nine.
20. Toledo Bowsher (2-1)- defeated Warrensville Heights, 80-69. Robert Davis led Bowsher with 27 points and Lonacy Utley pumped in 24. Milan Mabry added 18.
21. Trotwood-Madison (1-0)- defeated Piqua, 87-60. Ja’Mar Hammonds led Trotwood with 20 points, James Brown had 17, Marcus Graham notched 11, Michael Booze with nine, and Andre Yates added seven. Freshman Dazhonetae Bennett tallied three points.
22. Shaker Heights (0-2)- lost to D1 No. 10 Warren Harding, 69-65. Shaker Heights got 28 points from junior guard Terry Rozier and 23 by senior Otis Barrow.
23. Dublin Coffman (2-0)- defeated Westland, 84-61. Zach Riddle spear-headed the Coffman offense with 24 points and Matt DiThomas and Adam Hall both tallied 16 points a piece. 6-foot-10 junior Eric Weisenbach added 15.
24. Canton McKinley (2-0)- defeated Austintown-Fitch, 72-28. Sophomore Mike Mills paced McKinley with 13 points and 10 rebounds. Juwaun Duncan followed with 10 and Da’vontai Rorie netted nine.
25. Pickerington North (3-0)- defeated Pickerington Central, 71-45. Michael Klamo led North 14 points and Tyler Kelly added 13. Caris Levert led Central with 11 and freshman Jaesean Tate contributed nine. On Saturday, North defeated D2 Columbus DeSales, 66-53. Jake McCullough led the Panthers with 16 points and Evan Mills came off the bench to tally 12. Trent Waybright added 11. Junior Marq Pannell led DeSales with 13 points.
OHSH “Top 20”
1. Akron SVSM (2-1)- DNP
2. Dayton Dunbar (3-1)- defeated D2 No. 15 Dayton CJ, 41-38. Keontae Brown led Dunbar with 11 points and junior Deontae Hawkins added 10. On Saturday, Dunbar lost to D1 Huron (MI), 59-58. Brown paced Dunbar with 25 points and Hawkins chipped in with 15.
3. Cleveland Benedictine (2-2)- defeated Lincoln Park (IL), 72-53. Junior Desmond Ridenour led Benny with 18 points and Winston Grays tallied 14 followed by Mike Roberts with 12 and sophomore Mark Williams and junior Eric Coles adding 11 a piece. On Saturday, Benedictine lost to D1 No. 17 Columbus Walnut Ridge, 62-55. Ridenour paced Benny in defeat with 19 points and Williams tossed in 16.
4. Chillicothe (2-0)- defeated D3 Dayton Stivers, 73-64. UTEP commit Jalen Ragland led the Cavs with 26 points, Malik London followed with 16, and Isaac Beverly added 10. Freshman Robert Caldwell led Stivers with 22 points and senior Brooklyn Bradley added 18.
5. Cincinnati Roger Bacon (1-1)- DNP
6. Kettering Alter (0-1)- lost to Cincinnati Moeller, 58-47. Max Zukowitz led Alter in defeat with 16 points and sophomore Jaaron Simmons was good for 11.
7. Dayton Thurgood Marshall (1-2)- defeated Dayton Belmont, 103-30. Junior Joe Thomasson led Thurgood with 16 points and Joe Ballard and Jordan Watson added 15 each with Edmond Early and Sam Sanders chipping in with 14 a piece. On Saturday, Dayton Thurgood Marshall lost to D1 Romulus (MI), 69-64 after holding a 16-point lead.
8. Zanesville (2-0)- defeated previously unbeaten Coshocton (3-1), 65-37. Senior Tanner Gibson led Zanesville with 21 points and four steals. Classmate Cole Carpenter added 16 points and six rebounds and senior Rian Burrell contributed 11 points, nine rebounds, and six dimes.
9. Akron Buchtel (1-0)- defeated Akron Ellet, 95-60. Jazel Garrett led Buchtel with 24 points in its opener. Sophomore Aaron Cosey joined Garrett in doubles with 10.
10. Toledo Rogers (1-0)- defeated Toledo Scott, 71-67. Senior Damond Powell paced Rogers with 24 counters and sophomore Clemmye Owens followed with 20.
11. Chagrin Falls Kenston (2-0)- defeated Orange, 59-47. Junior Eric Truog led Kenston with 21 points and Justin Brownlow and Jack Rolf evenly split 28 counters.
12. Urbana (2-0)- defeated Springfield Northwestern, 62-47. Zach Stilling led Urbana with 27 points and nine rebounds and senior Anthony Marion contributed 13. Levi Burns led Northwestern in defeat with 18 lightings.
13. Middletown Bishop Fenwick (1-1)- lost to D1 No. 1 Cincinnati La Salle, 63-37. Keith Brinkman and Connor Ridge each scored 10 points to pace Fenwick in the loss.
14. Akron Hoban (1-2)- lost to Mentor Lake Catholic (2-0), 69-52. Junior Joey Vuyanich led Mentor Lake Catholic with 32 points.
15. Dayton CJ (0-3)- lost to D1 Cincinnati Elder, 49-43. Tim Szabo led CJ in defeat with 14 points and John Staley added 11.
16. Elida (2-1)- defeated D3 Convoy Crestview, 58-41. Junior Reggie McAdams led Elida with 20 points and senior Alex Adams tallied 11 followed by freshman Dakota Mathias with 10.
17. Celina (2-1)- defeated Columbus Linden McKinley, 76-32. John Homan led Celina with 18 points and Nate Bihn had 14 with Clayton Hoying adding 13.
18. Cleveland John Hay (2-0)- defeated D1 Cleveland Glenville, 92-77. Junior Eric Seaberry led John Hay with 22 points and senior Chaz Rollins added 21. Ali Bilal chipped in with 19 points and Joseph Estrict notched 12. On Saturday, John Hay defeated D4 Lutheran East, 62-55 thanks to a 26-16 advantage in the 4th quarter. Estrict led John Hay with 15 points and Rollins added 12.
19. Columbus Eastmoor (1-1)- DNP
20. Carrollton (3-0)- defeated Louisville, 68-62. The Warriors trailed by nine points after three quarters, but managed to rally behind 11 fourth quarter points from senior Johnny Lowdermilk who finished with 28 points in his first action of the year following an injury. Tyler Sheets followed with 15 and Rob Smith and sophomore Stephen Ericksen added 10 and nine points respectively.
OHSH “Tremendous 15”
1. Cincinnati Taft (3-0)- defeated Cincinnati Hughes, 88-51. Junior Adolphus Washington paced Taft with 17 points and Senior Kadeem Palmer added 14 points and Marquez Johnson followed with 10. Freshman Aaron Oden and sophomore Terry Cook led Hughes in defeat with 15. On Saturday, Taft’s game against Louisville Male (KY) was cancelled due to Male’s bus breaking down on the way. They tried to get the Senators another game for today in the Bluegrass-Buckeye Charity Holiday Classic, but weren’t able to do so.
2. Lima Central Catholic (3-0)- defeated New Bremen, 77-44. Austin Stolly, Ty O’Connor, and sophomore Tre’on Johnson all had 10 points to lead the Thunderbirds.
3. Chesapeake (1-0)- defeated D2 Gallopolis Gallia, 77-22. Junior Austin McMaster led the Panthers with 18 points with senior Colin Kennedy adding 17 and Patrick Hintz and sophomore Javon Thompson chipping in with 10 points a piece.
4. Sugarcreek Garaway (3-0)- defeated Strasburg Franklin, 79-45. Seniors Paul Honigford (Ashland) and Tanner Klein led the Pirates with 18 points a piece and classmate Hunter Shaw added 17. Honigford also chippped in with eight rebounds.
5. Cleveland Central Catholic (1-1)- defeated D1 Cleveland St.Ignatius, 55-49. CCC got 17 points from Cleveland State commit Anton Grady and 11 by senior Ra’Saun Smith.
6. Bloom-Carroll (2-1)- DNP
7. Jamestown Greeneview (2-0)- defeated Springfield Northeastern, 54-36. Sophomore Evan Bradds led the Rams with 18 points and Eric Green was good for 12 and Ronnie Drinnon netted eight.
8. Ironton (2-0)- defeated Blanchester, 70-36. Zacc Carter led Ironton with 24 points and was named Ironton’s game MVP at the Holzer Classic on the campus of Ohio University.
9. Orrville (0-2)- lost to D1 Mansfield Senior, 55-35. Drew Brenner led Orrville in defeat with 10 points and six rebounds. The Red Riders were without star Zach Wasson (Malone) who was out with the flu. Sophomore Keon Johnson led the Tyger with 14 points and Devyn Benson added 11 and five boards. The Tygers held a 42-24 advantage on the glass.
10. St.Clairsville (1-0)- defeated Belmont Union Local, 80-50. Sophomore Danny Monteroso led the Red Devils with 26 points and classmate Riley Carlton added 14.
11. Ottawa-Glandorf (2-0)- defeated D2 Fostoria, 88-37. Travis Schomaeker led the Titans with 17 and Drew Ellerbrock added 10.
12. Middletown Madison (2-1)- defeated Dayton Northridge, 68-67. Ryan Thobe paced Madison with 21 points and Chris Daniel tossed in 16 points and Josh Foster followed with 13.
13. Casstown Miami East (3-0)- defeated National Trail, 46-40. Gunner Shirk had 13 for Miami East and Justin Hershberger contributed 11 in the victory.
14. Piketon (3-0)- defeated Williamsport Westfall, 71-33. Senior Evan Legg (Rio Grande) led the Red Streaks with 23 points.
15. Archbold (3-0)- defeated No. 9 D4 Kalida, 48-37. Archbold got 14 points from Telly Fricke to lead the Blue Streaks in victory. Clay Giesige added 10.
OHSH “Terrific 10”
1. Dayton Jefferson (3-0)- defeated Christian Academy, 56-33. Juan Gay led the Broncos with 18 points and Dwight Johnson added 11. Jefferson was playing without senior Cody Latimer who was on a football visit to UCONN.
2. Harvest Prep (0-0)- played West Jefferson but a power outage caused the game to be cut short.
3. Berlin Hiland (3-0)- defeated Malvern, 54-40. Junior Seger Bonifant and Jalen Miller led Hiland with 10 points a piece and senior Noah Boyd was good for nine and junior Dylan Kaufman added eight.
4. Zanesville Rosecrans (2-0)- defeated Newcomerstown, 56-35. Junior Zak Kirkbride led Rosecrans with 15 points and 10 steals. Sophomore point guard Jake Phillis added 16 points and three dimes and junior Aaron Parry chipped in with eight points and seven rebounds.
5. McComb (2-0)- defeated Dola Hardin Northern, 72-34. Senior Taylor Hanes led McComb with 24 points followed by 15 from classmate Mason Roth. Senior Andrew Dee added six points, five assists, and five steals.
6. Columbus Grove (2-0)- defeated Ottoville, 69-30. Luke Kohls led three Bulldogs in double figures with 23 points. Jordan Travis had 13 points and Adam Bair added 11.
7. Toledo Ottawa Hills (3-0)- defeated Northwood, 65-26. Ian Trickey led OH with 15 points and JJ Buckey added 14 points, nine rebounds, and six assists.
8. Bedford Chanel (1-0)- defeated D3 Cleveland VASJ, 46-42. Davonte Brooks and Damon Jones each scored 10 points a piece to lead Chanel. Sophomore Demonte Flannigan led VASJ with 17.
9. Kalida (2-1)- lost to Archbold, 48-37. Drew Stechschulte led Kalida in defeat with 14 points.
10. Lockland (0-3)- lost to D3 Cincinnati Summit CD, 58-46. Sophomore Dontonio Wingfield Jr. led Lockland in defeat with eight points. Junior Tommy Kreyenhagen led Summit CD with 19 points and sophomore guard Kevin Johnson added 13.
News and Notes: 12/10/11 and 12/11/10
**Port Clinton’s 28-game regular season winning streak came to an end on Friday against against Sandusky Bay Conference rival, Milan Edison (56-51).
Port Clinton, who is the defending D2 state runner-up, bounced back with a 45-29 win over Woodmore on Saturday night to improve to (2-1).
Milan Edison will be at home on Thursday against Sandusky Perkins in a battle of unbeatens in what should be a tremendous contest.
**Eaton’s Cole French (Jr.) scored 27 points in a 68-63 win over Brookville.
**Wilmington freshman Zach McCormick scored 15 points in a 62-55 loss to D1 Cincinnati Anderson. Sophomore Colt Briggs added 13 for the Hurricane.
**Middletown got 13 points from Josh Johnson, 12 by Mikey Brown, and seven from freshman Vince Edwards.
**6-foot-7 sophomore Nigel Hayes scored 17 points and grabbed 13 boards in a 69-66 victory over Toledo Start. Franklin Lindsey added 17 in the win. Senior Maurice Taylor led Start with 21 points.
**The defending Division 1 state champion, Massillon Jackson, is off to a (3-0) start after weekend victories over Canton Glen Oak and Richfield Revere. Senior Michael Shull scored a total of 41 points in the two wins and John Henniger added 31.
**Akron Kenmore’s junior Antonio Hearn scored 27 points in a 98-75 setback to Akron Garfield.
**Iowa signee Aaron Thomas scored 29 points for Strongsville in a 76-71 defeat to Stow. Junior David Walker led Stow with 25 points.
**Michigan State commit Kenny Kaminski (Jr.) led Medina to a 53-41 victory over Valley Forge with 25 points.
**Junior Evan Payne delivered 25 points in Walsh Jesuit’s 56-28 triumph of Padua.
**Tyler White scored 30 points in an 87-73 Lima Senior win over Freemont Ross. White came back on Saturday afternoon with 20 points including his first in-game dunk in a win over Mansfield Senior.
**Sophomore Austin Grimes is off to an unbelievable start and continued to stay hot in Aiken’s (2-1) 72-71 triumph of Holmes (KY). Grimes scored 25 points on 8-of-12 shooting and snared 16 rebounds. Grimes has recorded a double-double in each of his first three games. The Woodward transfer is averaging 20.3 points and 15.7 rebounds per outing.