The third weekend of the Ohio High
School Football Playoffs has kicked off. Regional semifinals
in Division II, IV and VI were contested Friday across the state. Upsets?
Yep? Final Scores? Yep…it’s all here. Click here to see
what we learned Friday.
Five Things We Learned Friday: Regional Finals
1. Is there a hotter team than Trotwood-Madison? Following back-to-back losses at Wayne and Springfield, Trotwood was 3-2 heading into Week 6. Since then the Rams are 8-0 and playing as well as anyone in any division. Trotwood, which won its third straight Greater Western Ohio Conference North Division title this year, advanced to the state semifinals for the first time since 1981 on Friday with a convincing 53-24 win over Kings in the D-II Region 8 final at Princeton High School. Senior RB Antwan Gilbert had another huge game. During Trotwood’s eight-game win streak, Gilbert has rushed for 1,450 yards. He had 241 yards against Kings and scored five TDs. Last week in the regional semifinals Gilbert ran for 238 yards and four TDs in a win over defending state champion Winton Woods. Trotwood is averaging 40.5 points per game during its winning streak.
2. Alter survives the Region 16 gauntlet: And the winner of Region 16 is…Alter! The Knights remained alive in their quest for a third straight D-IV state title by outlasting Kenton 35-32 at Wapakoneta’s Harmon Field. Alter made a key fourth quarter stop on fourth-and-one with 3:59 left and scored the go-ahead TD on a 24-yard TD run by QB Zane Pitzer with 1:33 to go. Alter forced a turnover on downs with 31.6 seconds left. Kenton junior QB Maty Mauk threw for 386 yards and four TDs and ran for another score. Pitzer led Alter by rushing for 186 yards and three TDs.
3. Revenge is sweet: Both Shadyside and Columbus Hartley got revenge for regular season defeats on Friday. Shadyside beat Bridgeport 28-0 in the D-VI Region 23 final after losing to the Bulldogs 21-7 in Week 9. Hartley beat Ironton 26-20 in the D-IV Region 15 final after losing to the Tigers 37-15 in Week 8.
4. Mentor Lake Catholic and Ashland stage another classic: A year after Mentor Lake Catholic survived Ashland 45-42 in the D-II Region 5 final, the two teams hooked up in the regional final again for another great game. This time Lake Catholic won 35-28 after rallying from a 28-21 deficit.
5. Lehman owns win streak against the MAC: After losing 10 straight games over six years against the Midwest Athletic Conference, Sidney Lehman Catholic has now won two straight against the state’s top small school football conference. And both wins have come against Minster this year. After beating the Wildcats 34-13 in Week 2, Lehman followed up with a 27-14 win Friday in the D-VI Region 24 final.
REGIONAL FINAL SCORES
Mentor Lake Catholic 35, Ashland 28
Maple Heights 48, Olmsted Falls 16
Uniontown Lake 42, Sunbury Big Walnut 14
Trotwood-Madison 53, Kings Mills Kings 24
Chagrin Falls 37, Akron Manchester 14
Orrville 16, Genoa Area 6
Columbus Hartley 26, Ironton 20
Kettering Alter 35, Kenton 32
Mogadore 28, McDonald 14
Delphos St. John’s 56, McComb 20
Shadyside 28, Bridgeport 0
Sidney Lehman 27, Minster 14