Friday’s Ohio High School football regional semifinals produced some outstanding performances and ridiculous heroics. Here are 10 things that happened Friday that you need to know about…did we mention Saturday should be solid as well?
10 Things We Learned Friday…
1. St. Henry finds the end zone often: West Liberty-Salem had allowed 70 points in 11 games this season heading into Friday’s D-V regional semifinal with St. Henry. So much for that. The Redskins slapped 42 on the Tigers en route to a convincing 42-14 win at Piqua. Just last week WL-S shutout West Jefferson in the first round and denied the Roughriders any points on four trips inside the red zone. St. Henry QB Brad Stahl threw for 257 yards and five touchdowns.
2. Coldwater outlasts Anna in OT: The Cavaliers used a double-pass (surprise!) for the deciding score in a 28-21 win over fellow Midwest Athletic Conference foe Anna in the D-V semifinals at Wapakoneta. Anna, which joined the MAC in order to better prepare for the playoffs, lost for the second straight season in the playoffs to another MAC school (last year the Rockets lost to Marion Local in the first round).
3. Louisville, Logan and Turpin already out? So we had Logan No. 1, Louisville No. 2 and Turpin No. 3 in the final JJHuddle D-II Power Poll. The final AP Poll had Louisville No. 1, Turpin No. 2 and Logan No. 3. Regardless, all three teams are out of the D-II postseason. Louisville lost last week, while Turpin and Logan fell Friday. Logan lost 21-10 to Columbus Brookhaven. Turpin lost 43-7 to Trotwood-Madison.
4. Don’t doubt the Columbus City League: With Brookhaven’s 21-10 win over Logan and Marion-Franklin’s 36-25 win over Olentangy Orange, there will be an all-CCL final in Region 7 next week. The two teams played in the season opener with Brookhaven winning 23-21.
5. Norwalk St. Paul….wow: The Flyers were expected to make a serious run at the D-VI state title, and Friday’s 48-7 win over Mogadore just reinforces that feeling tenfold. Although D-VI games are scheduled for Saturdays, this contest was moved up a day to accommodate St. Paul, whose volleyball team is playing in the D-IV state final on Saturday. The Flyers led Mogadore 41-0 at half.
6. Ashland’s never out of it: Despite being down 14-0 entering the third quarter, Ashland scored 19 fourth quarter points to advance to the D-II regional finals with a 19-14 win over Warren Howland. The Arrows scored three TDs in the game’s final eight minutes.
7. One catholic clash will take place…: Fans of Central Ohio football have wanted to see Columbus DeSales square off against Watterson one more time. Their wish has been granted. DeSales beat Tippecanoe 54-14, while Watterson edged Napoleon 6-3. The two will meet in next week’s D-III, Region 10 final. DeSales beat Watterson 17-10 in Week 7.
8. One catholic clash won’t take place…: Fans of Northwest Ohio football have wanted to see Toledo St. Francis square off against Toledo Central Catholic one more time. Their wish won’t be granted. St. Francis beat Avon Lake 13-10, but TCC fell to Maple Heights 27-13 in the D-II, Region 6 semifinals.
9. Just in time: Springfield Shawnee QB Evan Storts threw a 6-yard TD pass to Steve Sarven with just 1.4 seconds left for the winning score in a 21-14 victory over Circleville Logan Elm in D-III, Region 12.
10. Defensive effort of the night…Columbus DeSales: We already mentioned they beat Tippecanoe 54-14. What we didn’t say was that the Stallions blocked three punts, recovered three fumbles and picked off a Red Devil pass. Wow.
Saturday should be fun.