We continue our countdown to Ohio’s top prospect for 2010 with today’s
look at the prospects ranked Nos. 11-15. This group includes Lakota West tight end Alex Smith, who has scholarship offers to Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Purdue and West Virginia.
Yesterday, we revealed 2010 high school football prospects ranked from No. 16-25 in Ohio.
Now, we are back to count down the prospects ranked from Nos. 11 to 15.
Mark Porter of ScoutingOhio.com and Bill Kurelic of Bucknuts.com have
collaborated on this list.
Back to 2010, here is the list of players ranked 11th to 15th in Ohio:
* 11. Erick Howard, running back, North Canton Hoover —
Howard (5-10, 210) led the Vikings to a 12-2 mark and their first trip
to the state semifinals in more than 20 years before losing to
Cleveland St. Ignatius. Howard finished with 2,387 yards on 404 carries
(5.9 average) with 31 touchdowns. He was the the Mr. Football award
winner, according to The Associated Press.
Howard had academic issues in his first two years of high school, but
seems to be working hard to improve his academic profile. Once that
issue gets squared away, he could see a number of scholarship offers.
Right now, he lists Ohio State, Michigan, Cincinnati, Michigan State
and North Carolina as his top schools.
* 12. Alex Smith, tight end, West Chester Lakota West — Smith
(6-5, 225, 4.87) is an athletic tight end prospect from the same school
that has produced Steve Rehring and Solomon Thomas for OSU. As a
junior, Smith had 27 catches for 375 yards and four touchdowns.
He has offers already from the likes of Cincinnati, Illinois, Kentucky, Louisville and Purdue. OSU is also in the picture.
* 13. Derrick Bryant, defensive end, Columbus Brookhaven –
Bryant (6-4, 230, 4.55) transferred from Gahanna Lincoln to nearby
Brookhaven before his junior year. Bryant recorded 85 tackles and 12
sacks as a junior. He already has offers from the likes of Illinois and
Michigan. He is also interested in Michigan State, Notre Dame and Ohio
State, among others.
* 14. Tyrone Williams, wide receiver, East Cleveland Shaw –
Williams (6-5, 200) had 11 catches for 372 yards (33.8 average) and
eight touchdowns over four games as a junior before going down with a
He lists Ohio State, USC, West Virginia, Illinois, Michigan and Michigan State as his top schools.
* 15. Jayrone Elliott, outside linebacker, Cleveland Glenville – Elliott (6-3, 205, 4.65) tallied close to 50 tackles, 15 sacks and one interception as a junior for the Tarblooders. Elliott is interested in Ohio State, Michigan State, Illinois, Cincinnati, Duke, Georgia, Tennessee, Miami (Fla.) and a few others.